Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Emulsifiers for electrolytes/actives rich lotion

• Emulsifiers for electrolytes/actives rich lotion

Posted by marimaster_3991 on October 5, 2022 at 2:57 pm

Hey! 

Can anyone suggest a good and strong emulsifier with good electrolyte and active ingredients tolerance? 

I’m thinking of using zinc pca, maltonionic acid, gluconolactone, a blend of botanical extracts, camphor and silicon… it’s a product for acne-prone skin. 

Vignesh_95 replied 1 year, 5 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • fekher

October 5, 2022 at 4:55 pm

@marimaster_3991 I guess no ionic emulsifier can do the job. 

• chemicalmatt

October 7, 2022 at 8:27 pm

@marimaster_3991, good old Promulgen D (cetearyl alcohol & ceteareth-20) has always been electrolyte tolerant. Add a small bit of Steareth-2 for good measure and you should be fine at nearly any pH too. The polyglyceryl esters (i.e. polyglcyeryl-6 laurate) are electrolyte tolerant also but need co-emulsifiers to succeed.

• pharma

October 8, 2022 at 5:43 pm

…The polyglyceryl esters (i.e. polyglcyeryl-6 laurate) … need co-emulsifiers to succeed.

Any you can recommend due to own experience or which you just prefer over others?

• marimaster_3991

October 10, 2022 at 2:07 pm

@chemicalmatt thank you! I actually thought of using ceteareth-20, but since it comes with cetearyl alcohol I got insecure about the viscosity it would get. I’m looking for a fluid lotion physical aspect. 

• ggpetrov

October 10, 2022 at 2:17 pm

@chemicalmatt thank you! I actually thought of using ceteareth-20, but since it comes with cetearyl alcohol I got insecure about the viscosity it would get. I’m looking for a fluid lotion physical aspect. 

Then you can use Glyceryl stearate & PEG 100 stearate. It doesn’t give any viscosity, so you can play with the other consistency modificators.

• marimaster_3991

October 10, 2022 at 6:33 pm

Hmm, interesting, @ggpetrov. That may work, thank you :) 

• Vignesh_95

October 11, 2022 at 10:47 am

Hi,
           You Can Use Cetearyl Glucoside & Cetearyl Alcohol Or Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate  With a Combination of Hydrogenated Vegetable Glycerides or Sodium Poly Acrylate, Which will give you excellent Electrolyte tolerance as well as Sensory. Thank You.