GEOGARD ECT PRESERVATIVE

hello!

i change the preservative in my face cream

know i use geogard ect, but i see that pH is 3,8

i have to adjust ph with NaOH or sodium acetate??

Comments

• If I understand your question correctly you are asking how to increase final pH in your product? (After adding Geogard ECT the pH dropped?) 

If so, yes, you can use NaOH (30% solution for example) or other alkaline pH buffer. 
  • PhilGeisPhilGeis Member, Professional formulator
    what pH do you want to establish?
  • Yeah, good point @PhilGeis. I should have mention to be careful to keep the preservative in its functional pH. 
  • MarkBroussardMarkBroussard Member, Professional Chemist
    @andriannav

There is absolutely nothing wrong with pH 3.8 with this preservative.  Do you find the for some reason pH 3.8 is too low for your product for some reason?  I would leave well enough alone unless you have some really compelling reason to raise the pH above 3.8
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals & Clean Beauty arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program/Clean At Sephora/Credo Clean guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com
  • If you want to increase ph above 4.5, i would suggest add another anti fungal too or change preservative again. 

• can i leave the pΗ for face cream at 3.8? Ι think it's better at 5

Yes you can leave it at 3.8.  But why did you think you needed to increase it and to what pH?

• i known that the ph of our face skin is 4,5-5,5
    right??
    that's why i want iti to be ph around 5

Are you buffered?
  • what do you mean??

Do ingredients in your formula hold the pH steady or is pH readily adjusted?