Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Why is not crystal clear and what is the solution to have crystal clear product?

• Why is not crystal clear and what is the solution to have crystal clear product?

Posted by fekher on September 12, 2022 at 5:22 pm

I made cleanser gel with :
    Carbomer 
    TEA
    Coco glucoside 
    PEG 40
    MPG
    Water
      The product is fine as cleanser and is no tear one the viscosity is also good just I can’t understand why the product is not crystal clear however I started with crystal clear gel but adding coco glucoside the product loose transparency.(the product have more then two days then it is not problem of bubbels) 
       Then I want to know why adding coco glucoside decrease the transparency of product? And which is the best solution to havel crustal clear gel product saving my actif ingredients?
     @Perry @Abdullah @ngarayeva001 @Pharma @Bill_Toge @chemicalmatt

abdullah replied 1 year, 6 months ago 5 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • fekher

September 13, 2022 at 5:00 am

@Paprik have you any explanation or suggestion? 

• ketchito

September 13, 2022 at 11:37 am

@Fekher That happened to me once, with a formula with both a glucoside and PEG-40 HCO. I don’t have a clear explanation of why, but if you heat a bit and the product turna clear, it might be due to the kraft point of your system. Try one sample removing PEG-40 HCO to see how it goes.

• drbobverdient-biz

September 13, 2022 at 8:50 pm

suspect you may be using wrong Carbopol with CG surfactant-try C-1342

• fekher

September 13, 2022 at 9:04 pm

@ketchito I have I suspect that that the solubility of neutralised Carbomer decrease with the increasing of the concentration of coco glucoside something near to  the solubility of Carbomer in alcohol, I will try hot process thanks a lot for the interesting suggestions. 

• fekher

September 13, 2022 at 9:26 pm

@”DRBOB@VERDIENT.BIZ” what carbopol do you suggest? 

• fekher

September 14, 2022 at 8:07 pm

@ketchito I tried to heat the product but unfortunately it did not work, may I will give try with xanthan gum😊

• ketchito

September 15, 2022 at 11:53 am

@Fekher No worries. The heating was just to see if there was an issue with the kraft point. Did you try a sample without PEG-40 HCO?

• fekher

September 17, 2022 at 10:46 pm

@ketchito actually no I did not tried without peg40 but we decided to make it with sush transperancy. 

• fekher

September 28, 2022 at 6:21 pm

What about adding some glycerin (or /and) butyl glycol to improve the quality of gel cleanser?
    @Perry @ngarayeva001 @Abdullah @ketchito @Paprik 

• abdullah

September 29, 2022 at 4:20 am

Not recommended

• fekher

September 29, 2022 at 4:53 am

Why @Abdullah

• abdullah

September 29, 2022 at 5:14 am

Fekher said:

Why @Abdullah

What quality you want to improve?

• fekher

September 29, 2022 at 5:54 pm

@Abdullah more cleaning and less drying (I guess butyl glycol can do both) 

• paprik

September 29, 2022 at 6:08 pm

You can add a small amount of glycerin to prevent from “drying of the product.”
    If you add small amount it should not effect the foam. If you add propylene glycol it will lower the viscosity of your product.

If you’re talking about about “drying the skin”, use some superfatting agent or similar.

• fekher

September 29, 2022 at 6:12 pm

@Paprik actually I talk about “drying the skin” wich superfztting agent you suggest? 

• paprik

September 29, 2022 at 6:33 pm

Lamesoft PO 65 (it can cause instability to the product),  … ethoxylated lipids (PEG-30 glyceryl cocoate), etc … 
    Do a google search, plenty will come up :)

• abdullah

September 30, 2022 at 12:55 am

Fekher said:

@Abdullah more cleaning and less drying (I guess butyl glycol can do both) 

Glycerin does nether of this.