Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Xantham gum Verse Solagum tara

• Xantham gum Verse Solagum tara

Posted by dtdang on September 11, 2022 at 2:29 pm

Good morning! wishing everyone have wonderful weekend!

I am planning to use Solagum tara. But I have no knowledge about it.
    Would anyone (with experiences or knowledge about it) give me advise?

Xantham gum verse Dalagum tara?

Thank you so much in advance.

dtdang replied 1 year, 6 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • paprik

September 11, 2022 at 6:54 pm

Hello @Dtdang, please see attached :)
    You should get plenty of info from this brochure. Happy formulating.

• ggpetrov

September 11, 2022 at 7:07 pm
    Actually they are incomparable. The Tara gum tends to make a kind of swirls no matter how to process it. I tried a lot of approaches but no one worked for me. If you make a clear water gel with only glycerin, then it’s fantastic and softens the skin. In emulsions it’s a real horror, especially in the next day.

• dtdang

September 15, 2022 at 8:34 am

Thank you so much, @ggpetrov and @Paprik.
    I get another difficulty is that tara gum is difficult to soluble in cool water. I have to put tara gum + H2O in freezer for at least 2 hours for tara gum dispersing to water. Is there another way to soluble tara gum in water?

• Lab

September 15, 2022 at 11:23 am

Dtdang said:

Thank you so much, @ggpetrov and @Paprik.
    I get another difficulty is that tara gum is difficult to soluble in cool water. I have to put tara gum + H2O in freezer for at least 2 hours for tara gum dispersing to water. Is there another way to soluble tara gum in water?

Hi! :blush:
    Xanthan Gum is known to make the formulation a little less pretty/fancy than other gums in general. But the “paste” technique can be used for this as well as for Solagum Tara.
    Basically what you can do is weigh out a quantity of humectant (usually glycerin, but it also works with propylene glycol) and then sprinkle the gum over it (3:1 should work), mixing gently with a spatula until it forms a paste. This ensures gum’s hydration before you add it directly to the aqueous phase. Once you’ve added it, you can try heating it up to speed up the process, but it’s not always necessary. A good stirr is often enough.*
    Oh! And if you’re working with mechanical mixers, be sure not to use blades that provide high shear. Naval blades work best on gums as they do not break the structure at all.

I’ve worked with Solagum Tara some times and honestly the emulsion looks really nice and fancy in the end - but it can be a little difficult to work with depending on your formula, shampoo, conditioner, cream, etc.
    *Many formulators don’t like this process and avoid it, still others say they don’t see much sense in it and that’s unnecessary… but I think it’s a matter of taste and your level of patience! :D

P.S.: I’m considering just the laboratory scale in this comment.

• dtdang

September 15, 2022 at 5:54 pm

Thank you, @Lab