Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Can I mix my own blend of ingredients to make oleogels?

• Can I mix my own blend of ingredients to make oleogels?

Posted by DeedeeUkulele on September 7, 2022 at 11:13 pm

I’m trying to make an oil gel-to-milk balm and came across BASF Plantasil LA (INCI: lauryl glucoside, oleth-20, glycerin). I was able to order 250g for experimentation but unfortunately, the repacker either seems to have sold out or no longer carries it.

I found a supplier for lauryl glucoside and Eumulgin M8 (INCI: oleth-10 (and) oleth-5); however, the MOQ is a little too high so I’d like to ask some help here before I order from them. 

1. Would oleth-10 (and) oleth-5 be a good substitute for oleth-20? 

2. Would it be possible to just figure out the ratios of Plantasil LA to make my own blend? Or do you think there’s some industrial process involved in combining the 3 that I don’t have access to at home?

3. I’m also open to suggestions for making oil gels :) 

DeedeeUkulele replied 1 year, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • gordof

September 9, 2022 at 10:58 am

I would suggest looking into the Raw materials from Alchemy 

Oil Gelling - Alchemy Ingredients (alchemy-ingredients.com)

the work really nice has a very pleasant feeling and can if Processed correctly be clear oil gels with a lot of water inside so the price gets down, 

• DeedeeUkulele

September 16, 2022 at 10:51 am

Gordof said:

I would suggest looking into the Raw materials from Alchemy 

Oil Gelling - Alchemy Ingredients (alchemy-ingredients.com)

the work really nice has a very pleasant feeling and can if Processed correctly be clear oil gels with a lot of water inside so the price gets down, 

Thank you! I was able to come up with my own blend from locally - available materials.