Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Problem with fragrances

• Problem with fragrances

Posted by Palucho on September 5, 2022 at 8:33 pm

Hello, I am looking for the possibility of adapting fat-soluble fragrances for use in a water solution (shampoo, shower gel). I have heard about the possibility of combining a fat-soluble fragrance with coconut betaine and thus converting it to a water-soluble one, but I don’t know in what ratio. Thanks in advance for any help or hint.

drbobverdient-biz replied 1 year, 6 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • ketchito

September 6, 2022 at 12:09 pm

@Palucho You’ll have nightmares truing to incorporate a more oil soluble fragrance into a shower gel without making it turbid (betaine won’t help, and you’ll have to add too many surfactants and/or solubilizers). More water soluble (or dispersible) fragrances have solubilizers, and are more suited for that type of products.

• marimaster_3991

September 6, 2022 at 9:02 pm

Hi, there!

Usually solubilizing in surfactants, specially cocamide dea, will work, or maybe you can use Polysorbate 20 ou peg-40 hydrogenated castor oil (both of them worked for me) as solubilizers. You can try 8:1 ratio, just to guarantee it won’t become turbid.

Regards,

• Palucho

September 7, 2022 at 1:01 pm

marimaster_3991  thank you very much for the hint. I will check it in the lab and report the results on the forum. Regards.

• drbobverdient-biz

September 8, 2022 at 9:04 pm

procetyl aws works at 2:1 ratio because of having both a hydrophobic and hydrophilic moieties.