Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Resources Silybum Marianum Ethyl Ester…aka Milk Thistle Ethyl Ester

• Silybum Marianum Ethyl Ester…aka Milk Thistle Ethyl Ester

Posted by graillotion on September 5, 2022 at 8:32 am

When I search for this in the US…I don’t find a supplier… Even the one supplier I find on ULP…does not offer a sample.

Anyone worked with this?  Some kind of special magic, rainbows or unicorns?  Guessing not…since it seems to be hard to find.  I’ll chase about anything that is purported to give a ‘dry’ finish. :)

I guess while I have your ear…. thoughts of Silymarin in skincare products???  

Aloha

graillotion replied 1 year, 6 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • microformulation

September 5, 2022 at 2:13 pm
    That’s an Alban Muller Raw Material and I have never seen it from anyone else.
    We used it in a project at a client’s request. It was unremarkable and didn’t stand out from any other dry esters.
  • Richard

September 6, 2022 at 4:28 am

I agree with the above comments regarding unremarkable and there being other (cheaper) similar ingredients. Plus there is also the down side of it’s apparent inability to withstand any heat and it’s storage conditions. Although I have used it in the past also, I would nowadays prefer to use something else that is a bit more robust and there’s tons of alternative ingredients available these days.

• graillotion

September 6, 2022 at 10:32 am

Thank you!

Glad to know I don’t need to chase this rabbit down the hole.