Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Shampoo comes out hazy, how to make it clear/transparent?

• Shampoo comes out hazy, how to make it clear/transparent?

Posted by CzarXavier on August 30, 2022 at 9:44 pm

Hello everyone, I am an amateur shampoo developer and have recently formulated a moisturizing shampoo in which I absolutely love its results but do not like its appearance. I’ve tried Googling ways to make it clear but have not had any luck finding anything, so if someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it! I have attached the formula and procedures for review. For the record, I mix by hand with a whisk as I don’t have a homogenizer, not sure how much of a difference that makes but thought I should mention. 

gomorrian replied 1 year, 6 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • ketchito

August 31, 2022 at 11:55 am

@CzarXavier I suspect that either Guar and/or fragrance can cause the issue. If you want to use Guar in a clear product, you need to use the version for clear products, like N-Hance CCG 45. Also, your frgrance might not be colpletely soluble, and you might need a solubilizer. Do a knock out test removing either of those, to see which one is the one to blame.

Also, if that Phenoxyethanol is pure, you’re using way too much and you need to complement with another preservative to cover mold and yeast. And lastly, you are using way too much Glycerin (water soluble, will go down the drain and impair foam).

• Rockstargirl

August 31, 2022 at 4:25 pm

Fragrance gets me every time. You need to play with different solubilizers and ratios. And then go back and rethink the viscosity. Also I solubilize everything separately first. Good luck!

• CzarXavier

August 31, 2022 at 8:15 pm

ketchito said:

@CzarXavier I suspect that either Guar and/or fragrance can cause the issue. If you want to use Guar in a clear product, you need to use the version for clear products, like N-Hance CCG 45. Also, your frgrance might not be colpletely soluble, and you might need a solubilizer. Do a knock out test removing either of those, to see which one is the one to blame.

Also, if that Phenoxyethanol is pure, you’re using way too much and you need to complement with another preservative to cover mold and yeast. And lastly, you are using way too much Glycerin (water soluble, will go down the drain and impair foam).

Thank you for the tips, I will definitely look into them!

• CzarXavier

August 31, 2022 at 8:15 pm

Fragrance gets me every time. You need to play with different solubilizers and ratios. And then go back and rethink the viscosity. Also I solubilize everything separately first. Good luck!

Sounds like a good idea, will definitely try this out

• gomorrian

September 7, 2022 at 12:14 pm

It is the fragrance and the yucca oil. You can reduce cloudiness of the fragrance by adding with polysorbate-20 (same percentage) but you should replace yucca oil with something water soluble. any oil added above 0,3-0,5% causes turbidity that can be seen by eyes.