Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating What’s Your Optimal PH for a shampoo with a smooth feeling

Tagged: ,

• What’s Your Optimal PH for a shampoo with a smooth feeling

Posted by Ahlmeyer on August 26, 2022 at 10:40 pm

Hi,

I would like to know your opinion for the PH.
    Different Surfactant Systems need different PH, I know. Many formulations from suppliers have a PH range from 6 to 7. Even repair, Color shampoos. What do you think about this? in my formulations, the best thickening stability is about PH 6. 

the most literature says, that a ph 5 to 5.5 is optimal. What is your experience in relation to slip, care, color care etc.?

thank you very much for your answers

Farah replied 1 year, 6 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Syl

August 27, 2022 at 1:34 am

I personally like a PH of 5 or less because hair cuticules are smoother at that pH preventing tangles.

• Syl

August 27, 2022 at 1:35 am

You should test it on yourself…. 

• abdullah

August 27, 2022 at 5:49 am

Syl said:

I personally like a PH of 5 or less because hair cuticules are smoother at that pH preventing tangles.

When you rinse with water that has pH 7, it doesn’t matter anymore what was the pH before rinsing. 

• drjaysee

August 27, 2022 at 6:03 am

Abdullah said:

Syl said:

When you rinse with water that has pH 7, it doesn’t matter anymore what was the pH before rinsing. 

@Abdullah I think , a lower or higher ph whatever give the impact on skin or hair, can’t be affected by the water with ph7 because neutral can’t change the ph else no change their impact too.

• drjaysee

August 27, 2022 at 6:06 am

Syl said:

You should test it on yourself…. 

@Syl I agreed, sometimes rinse hair with lemon water ( natural way)gives the exact impact of conditioner ; smooth untangle shine there in hair.

• abdullah

August 27, 2022 at 10:51 am

Abdullah said:

Syl said:

@Abdullah I think , a lower or higher ph whatever give the impact on skin or hair, can’t be affected by the water with ph7 because neutral can’t change the ph else no change their impact too.

Neutral changes the pH to neutral. 

For example, take 5g shampoo that has pH 5, mix it with 100g water, final pH would be around 7. Not 5. 
    This is what happens when you wet your hair and apply shampoo. Then when you rinse it with extra water, it becomes a definite ph 7.

• Syl

August 27, 2022 at 7:36 pm

@Abdullah, the lower ph reduce tangles before you rinse.

• Farah

September 14, 2022 at 4:24 am

pH 5 all the way. Curly haired here and makes a HUGE difference to tangling