Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cetyl Alcohol and Stearyl Alcohol Ratio in conditioner!!! HELP!!!

• Cetyl Alcohol and Stearyl Alcohol Ratio in conditioner!!! HELP!!!

Posted by nhatnguyen10 on August 23, 2022 at 2:43 pm

Hi,
     I am new here and hope everyone can help me with this conditioner formula I currently formulating! 
    My target is 5 percent of total cetyl and stearyl alcohol in my rinse off conditioner. 
    I am looking for cetyl and stearyl alcohol ratio 4:1 
    Is this too much cetyl alcohol for women conditioner? 
    thank you and I am open to hear any feedback from anyone 🙂 

Anna_Maria replied 1 year, 7 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • oldperry

August 23, 2022 at 3:59 pm

That sounds like a reasonable amount.

• nhatnguyen10

August 23, 2022 at 8:31 pm

Perry said:

That sounds like a reasonable amount.

Thank you so much! 

Can you advise? When should i use more stearyl alcohol? 
    Ratio 4: 1 stearyl alcohol to cetyl alcohol

And when should I use more Cetyl Alcohol?

thank you for your time and answer! 

• oldperry

August 23, 2022 at 10:35 pm

There is no definitive rule. Usually, people use more stearyl alcohol than cetyl because it has a higher melting point so will be more stable under warm storage conditions. But every system is different. You just have to experiment & see what works for you

• nhatnguyen10

August 25, 2022 at 6:47 pm

Perry said:

There is no definitive rule. Usually, people use more stearyl alcohol than cetyl because it has a higher melting point so will be more stable under warm storage conditions. But every system is different. You just have to experiment & see what works for you

Thank you for your answer!!!

• Anna_Maria

August 26, 2022 at 4:57 am

are you being able to have a good texture with these quantities without adding any cellulose or gums? @nhatnguyen10

• nhatnguyen10

August 26, 2022 at 6:29 pm

are you being able to have a good texture with these quantities without adding any cellulose or gums? @nhatnguyen10

I didnt make it yet, i need to hear some expert opinions or experience or mistake before start working on it. 

Do you have any recommendations Or experience with it?
    Thank you!
  • Anna_Maria

August 29, 2022 at 10:18 am

I didnt make it yet, i need to hear some expert opinions or experience or mistake before start working on it. 

Do you have any recommendations Or experience with it?
    Thank you!

I couldn’t reach a good texture with only cetyl and stearyl total 5% i had to add tylose to have a good texture