Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Storing production water in production tank before production for several days or weeks

Tagged: , ,

• Storing production water in production tank before production for several days or weeks

Posted by abdullah on August 23, 2022 at 11:08 am

Currently i make cleansing products in a 200kg tank but as i have to make several batchs a week it is not convenient. So i am planning to purchase a 2000kg tank for production. 
    As for a 2000kg batch i need around 1900kg filtered water for cleaning and production and we do filter that water too with RO filters, the problem is where to store that much water before production. I may need to collect and store that water for several days or weeks.

I have 2 options.
    1. purchase two 2000kg tanks. One for production and one for water storing. ( This will cost a lot and I won’t chose this option unless there is no other option for me).
    2. Store the production water in production tank before production. 

My questions: 
    1. Is it ok and safe to store production water in production tank for several days before production?
    2. If yes then when should i sanitize the tank because before production it is already full of water?
    3. What options are there or how other companies deal with this issue? 

abdullah replied 1 year, 7 months ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • evchem2

August 23, 2022 at 1:03 pm

We had a storage tank inline from our filtration/purification system- I’m not sure how storing in the production tank would work. You would probably want to validate you are able to totally disinfect the tank, maybe let some water sit in the tank for your worst-case timeline and test? I can see it being very demanding if you go that route so the second tank may end up being less costly in terms of time/ liability.

• PhilGeis

August 23, 2022 at 2:05 pm

Do not store water.  

• abdullah

August 23, 2022 at 3:08 pm

@evchem2 that i don’t know how to disinfect the rank when it is full of water.

@PhilGeis do you mean don’t store water in production tank or don’t store at all? 

• PhilGeis

August 23, 2022 at 3:16 pm

Water is a primary source of contamination in cosmetic manufacturing.  Stored, in whatever tank, vessel, bugs will grow and perpetuate themselves in biofilm.  You’ll need some mechanism to control that problem and that typically involves a recirculating systems - the optimal systems is preserved with as constant heated water or ozone treated.  Some use UV light and a micro filter recirculating through a storage tank with periodic sanitization of the system.
    Hope you/ve stainless steel rather than PVC.

• abdullah

August 24, 2022 at 3:07 am

PhilGeis said:

Water is a primary source of contamination in cosmetic manufacturing.  Stored, in whatever tank, vessel, bugs will grow and perpetuate themselves in biofilm.  You’ll need some mechanism to control that problem and that typically involves a recirculating systems - the optimal systems is preserved with as constant heated water or ozone treated.  Some use UV light and a micro filter recirculating through a storage tank with periodic sanitization of the system.
    Hope you/ve stainless steel rather than PVC.

It is metal, some kind of iron, but not stainless steel. I will ask them what is the name of that metal.

Which of thse that you mentioned is the least expensive option?

If i add EDTA or preservative to storage water, will it help? 

• PhilGeis

August 24, 2022 at 10:33 am

None is cheap and an iron system is pretty poor for water storage or much else.   Between biofilm and water and micro-based corrosion, think its not going to serve well.
    EDTA would make it worse and ozone is out of the question.

Stainless (316) will be more costly now but less in long term

• abdullah

August 24, 2022 at 11:11 am

What about ss 304 or HDPE plastic for water storage?

• abdullah

August 24, 2022 at 11:13 am

How about adding preservative like formalin to storage water as i use it in shampoo anyway? Is it a good idea?

• PhilGeis

August 24, 2022 at 1:06 pm

304 is prob ok.  Never plastic - impossible to effectively sanitize ongoing.
    I’ve used low level hypochlorite injection for household product water.  Would oxidize iron.  No experience with formalin.

• abdullah

August 24, 2022 at 1:12 pm

PhilGeis said:

304 is prob ok.  Never plastic - impossible to effectively sanitize ongoing.
    I’ve used low level hypochlorite injection for household product water.  Would oxidize iron.  No experience with formalin.

Thanks a lot