Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Is it normal for formalin so produce foam when transferred from one ti another package

• Is it normal for formalin so produce foam when transferred from one ti another package

Posted by abdullah on August 23, 2022 at 4:31 am

A while ago i purchased 25kg gallon of formalin. It didn’t have any foam( or i hadn’t noticed) and upon opening the cap it had very noticeable smell.

Yesterday i purchased 10kg formalin again  but this new formalin had weaker smell than previous one and when i added it to the previous 25kg gallon it created some foam. 

One of these gallons was water gallon and another was from benzyl alcohol dehydroacetic acid preservative that i purchased in the past. These gallons were never used for anything else.

question: is it normal for formalin to produce some foam when transferred to another package?

whick one is better? The one with strong or weaker smell?

abdullah replied 1 year, 7 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • PhilGeis

August 23, 2022 at 9:39 am

Did you get a coa?

• abdullah

August 23, 2022 at 10:39 am

No 

Both times i purchased it from local wholesalers and they don’t provide coa for anything. 

Here providing coa is not common. They just say it is 37% formaldehyde formalin.

Both times we purchased from same wholesaler. 

• PhilGeis

August 23, 2022 at 10:52 am

Good luck then.  Maybe be same wholesaler but different producers.

• abdullah

August 23, 2022 at 11:21 am

PhilGeis said:

Good luck then.  Maybe be same wholesaler but different producers.

Yes that could be and also i purchased that first 25kgs several months ago. 

This wholesaler also sells SLES, SLS, cAPB, LABSA and and other cleansing raw materials. And they always have a lot of empty 200kg drums.

My question was is it normal for formalin to produce some foam when you shake it? 

If it is not normal then maybe they have transferred the formalin to a drum that was not completely clean i guess. If they have done so, then is this formalin fully functional and ok to use? 

• PhilGeis

August 26, 2022 at 9:35 am

Not normal

• abdullah

August 27, 2022 at 6:14 am

PhilGeis said:

Not normal

Thanks