Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Salt generated Viscosity: ph

• Salt generated Viscosity: ph

Posted by drjaysee on August 21, 2022 at 3:21 pm

Can Anyone tell me is viscosity based on the  ph of any solution? Sometimes when I  make handwash, I didn’t get desired viscosity through salt.  So anyone can tell me required things to get  the viscosity by salt.

squinny replied 1 year, 7 months ago 6 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • pharma

August 21, 2022 at 7:15 pm
    No, adding salt is not about changing pH (table salt doesn’t even change pH).
    I assume you’re living in a country not served by Google (or completely lack own initiative); so HERE you go.
  • abdullah

August 21, 2022 at 8:54 pm

A lot of things in handwash can effect viscosity including pH. So do some experiments. 

• drjaysee

August 22, 2022 at 12:08 am

Pharma said:

No, adding salt is not about changing pH (table salt doesn’t even change pH).
    I assume you’re living in a country not served by Google (or completely lack own initiative); so HERE you go.

😆 I  am from the country where all advancement there but we can not googled our failures and success from there dear. Thanks for your help. My question is ph of solution to which I am going to  add salt, change the viscosity as sometimes I get viscosity and sometimes not with same ingredients. 

• drjaysee

August 22, 2022 at 12:10 am

Abdullah said:

A lot of things in handwash can effect viscosity including pH. So do some experiments. 

@Abdullah thanks 

• pharma

August 22, 2022 at 5:57 am

😆 I  am from the country where all advancement there but we can not googled our failures and success from there dear. Thanks for your help. My question is ph of solution to which I am going to  add salt, change the viscosity as sometimes I get viscosity and sometimes not with same ingredients. 

In that case, read a book such as ‘Surfactant Science, Principles & Practice’ by Steven Abbott (free PDF download online available on his HP).

• ketchito

August 22, 2022 at 12:07 pm

Can Anyone tell me is viscosity based on the  ph of any solution? Sometimes when I  make handwash, I didn’t get desired viscosity through salt.  So anyone can tell me required things to get  the viscosity by salt.

@drjayseesunish This is just an example, but if you have both SLES and CAPB, different pH will modify the way they interact with each other, thus modifying the resulting viscosity.

• drjaysee

August 23, 2022 at 3:27 pm

ketchito said:

@drjayseesunish This is just an example, but if you have both SLES and CAPB, different pH will modify the way they interact with each other, thus modifying the resulting viscosity.

@ketchito thanks 

• drjaysee

August 23, 2022 at 3:29 pm

Pharma said:

In that case, read a book such as ‘Surfactant Science, Principles & Practice’ by Steven Abbott (free PDF download online available on his HP).

@Pharma thanks 

• drjaysee

August 25, 2022 at 8:02 am

Abdullah said:

@Abdullah when should we add EDTA in the solution, before neturalisation or after it? Any particular time or step? In detergent case. 

• markbroussard

August 25, 2022 at 9:26 am

@drjayseesunish

Viscosity can be affected by pH.  It’s all a function of how the surfactants interact with each other, but you can get some increase in viscosity by lowering the pH of certain surfactant combinations.  i don’t think there is a general rule in this regard.  You just need to test it.

Viscosity by salt will only work with certain surfactants or sufactant combinations.  Non-Ionic surfactants will not salt thicken.  Whereas anionic taurates generally respond well to salt-thickening.  Again, as with pH, you need to experiment to see if you get thickening of a surfactant mixture by lowering the pH and/or adding salt.

• drjaysee

August 26, 2022 at 6:54 am

Abdullah said:

@Abdullah I have  found out when I add EDTA in the solution, solution becomes thinner so when should we add it in the solution? 

• drjaysee

August 26, 2022 at 6:59 am

@drjayseesunish

Viscosity can be affected by pH.  It’s all a function of how the surfactants interact with each other, but you can get some increase in viscosity by lowering the pH of certain surfactant combinations.  i don’t think there is a general rule in this regard.  You just need to test it.

Viscosity by salt will only work with certain surfactants or sufactant combinations.  Non-Ionic surfactants will not salt thicken.  Whereas anionic taurates generally respond well to salt-thickening.  Again, as with pH, you need to experiment to see if you get thickening of a surfactant mixture by lowering the pH and/or adding salt.

@MarkBroussard thanks a lot Mark. I am learning everytime when you all knowledge rich persons give the solution and the same time make us think in another aspect. 

• abdullah

August 27, 2022 at 6:19 am

Abdullah said:

@Abdullah when should we add EDTA in the solution, before neturalisation or after it? Any particular time or step? In detergent case. 

It is better to add EDTA earlier to solution

• squinny

August 28, 2022 at 4:02 am

I believe (and this is what I do for my face and other lotion/Cream emulsions) is add it to the heated Water phase. My supplier advises ” Useage:  0.1-0.4% is usually enough and it is added into the water phase as soon as manufacturing begins.” So maybe check with your supplier and see what they suggest.