Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Off Topic water-tight vs Air and water-tight caps for shampoo and lotion lottle

Tagged: ,

• water-tight vs Air and water-tight caps for shampoo and lotion lottle

Posted by abdullah on August 18, 2022 at 2:31 pm

there are two types of caps 
    1. Air and water-tight or seal
    water-tight or seal

for shampoo and lotion lottles with flip top caps, shoud we use a cap that is Air and water-tight or just water-tight is enough?

abdullah replied 1 year, 7 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • PhilGeis

August 18, 2022 at 2:38 pm

Don’t recall tottle caps I’ve used have carried those distinctions.  Filled and inverted, it may not make much difference.

Pressure differentials can play a trick.  Product made and packaged in midwest US, sold in high altitude markets can squirt a little product at 1st customer opening.

• abdullah

August 19, 2022 at 9:00 am

PhilGeis said:

Don’t recall tottle caps I’ve used have carried those distinctions.  Filled and inverted, it may not make much difference.

Pressure differentials can play a trick.  Product made and packaged in midwest US, sold in high altitude markets can squirt a little product at 1st customer opening.

i have used these two flip top type caps. the red one works fine but the green one, if we squeaze the bottle, from some of them air comes out. that air also has the smell of fragrance i use in that shampoo. as my preservative is formalin that has gas it made me wory. 
    when i asked the suplier about it they siad that these caps are water-tight and not air-tight. is this normall for shampoo or lotion bottles that if we squeez the bottle, air come out from it?

• PhilGeis

August 19, 2022 at 10:17 am

Air comes out when you squeeze with that design - it’s a poor closure.

• abdullah

August 19, 2022 at 1:35 pm

PhilGeis said:

Air comes out when you squeeze with that design - it’s a poor closure.

so you mean air shouldnt be able to come out of the bottle when you squeeze the bottle?

they said this is normal for caps that are not air tight and everyone is using it and no one has any complain and i shoud use Air and water-tight caps which are screw caps if i dont want air to come out.
    this was a local cap producer and local producers here usually has lower quality products but cheaper. i am already looking to import high quality caps from another country.

what about the products that i have sold with caps that have this problem? 
    is ther any risk of microbes getting in or preservative (formalin) escap from bottle or something bad happen to product? not all the caps are like this. this only happens to some of them.

if we squeeze the bottle, fragrance scented air comes out. if we dont squeeze the bottle there is no scent even in warehouse where hundreds of these bottles are stored.( looks like if we dont sqeeze the bottle, air is not comming out easily).

• PhilGeis

August 19, 2022 at 1:52 pm

Not normal - visit the shelves and squeeze some of the major brands.

Think you’re biggest risk in use for shampoos is water ingress in shower and dropped in bath.  Wonder if those caps affect that dynamic.

• abdullah

August 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm

PhilGeis said:

Not normal - visit the shelves and squeeze some of the major brands.

Think you’re biggest risk in use for shampoos is water ingress in shower and dropped in bath.  Wonder if those caps affect that dynamic.

no there will be no diffrence during use in shower betwen these caps and those that work perfectly fine.

i did check some products from major brands and saw the same problem but as here usually products from major brands are fake, i dont know if the original product is also like this.

when i squeezed a shampoo from Syoss company a little harder, not only air but also some shampoo came out from sides of cap. i ma not sure if this product was original or fake.