Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Natural alternatives to Polysorbate 80?

• Natural alternatives to Polysorbate 80?

Posted by questioner on July 12, 2022 at 6:28 pm

Hello! I am making a makeup removing/cleansing oil. It consists of the following: 

Natural oils- 75% 
    Polyglycerin Oleate 4- 10% 
    Polysorbate 80- 15% 

And I love the outcome. It removes makeup well, and washes off well. However, I love the marketability of an “all natural” product, which Polysorbate 80 is not. Any natural replacements for it? It has helped the product with wash off, and I really want to preserve that feature as much as possible, and find a natural replacement for that. 

markbroussard replied 1 year, 8 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • evchem2

July 13, 2022 at 12:33 pm

you could try PolySugaMulse D9, not sure how it would work at such a high use level. you should be wary of statements like ‘all natural’ though as your emulsifiers have been chemically processed.

• questioner

July 13, 2022 at 12:37 pm

Thank you for your comment. It looks like that has to be specially ordered from a company correct? What do you think about maybe just leaving the product the way it is, and claiming that this product was made “with natural ingredients”?

• markbroussard

July 13, 2022 at 1:56 pm

@questioner

You can get PolySugaMulse D9 in small quantities from Formulator Sample Shop.  If you do end up using PSM D9, the use the language “naturally-derived”.  Never use the language “all natural” unless it is absolutely true and factual.