Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Why not to shampoo before using a lye relaxer

• Why not to shampoo before using a lye relaxer

Posted by DaveStone on July 8, 2022 at 10:55 pm

My wife bought something called ORS relaxer. It states on the jar that hair is not to be shampooed less than 24 hours before application. Is this warning more for hair or the scalp? I would think cleaning the hair would make it easier for the relaxer to work with all the buildup out of the way.

DaveStone replied 1 year, 8 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • stanley

July 8, 2022 at 11:14 pm

ORS — I am assuming stands for the brand of relaxer-Organic Root Stimultor.  This is a brand.  Back in the old days you had Revlon relaxers as well as Optimum and TCB relaxers.  Relaxers are normally used by those that have 4B-4C as experienced in the African American community.  I am not saying other ethnic groups or hair patterns could not used the product.- please correct me if I have made too many assumptions…. :) 

The directions are more for the scalp than it is for the hair.  Using a relaxer is a harsh chemical treatment that can produce sores on the scalp and seriously damage the hair.  Your hair and scalp produce natural oils that help protect the skin and hair from the harmful chemicals of a relaxer. If you wash your hair too soon before a relaxer it opens the pores of the scalp and removes the natural protective oils, which can lead to burning your scalp and hair. Actually you shouldn’t wash your hair less than 3-4 days before a treatment.

• DaveStone

July 9, 2022 at 2:54 am

Stanley said:

ORS — I am assuming stands for the brand of relaxer-Organic Root Stimultor.  This is a brand.  Back in the old days you had Revlon relaxers as well as Optimum and TCB relaxers.  Relaxers are normally used by those that have 4B-4C as experienced in the African American community.  I am not saying other ethnic groups or hair patterns could not used the product.- please correct me if I have made too many assumptions…. :) 

The directions are more for the scalp than it is for the hair.  Using a relaxer is a harsh chemical treatment that can produce sores on the scalp and seriously damage the hair.  Your hair and scalp produce natural oils that help protect the skin and hair from the harmful chemicals of a relaxer. If you wash your hair too soon before a relaxer it opens the pores of the scalp and removes the natural protective oils, which can lead to burning your scalp and hair. Actually you shouldn’t wash your hair less than 3-4 days before a treatment.

That’s the correct brand. My wife is white but has natural curly, frizzy hair. She has tried no-lye relaxers to no avail.
    Can relaxer still penetrate hair if it’s coated in silicone from the conditioner the last time it was washed?
  • stanley

July 9, 2022 at 1:41 pm

Okay!!! :)

I am sure she look beautiful with her curls… Curls for all races are popular now! I how it is to want something too….

I assume my next question would be why is she choosing to use this product that is mainly used on 4b-4c (4z) curl pattern?  There are other products that might be better suited for her hair pattern which would yield the desired look.  If she has used similar products previously and not allowed enough time to pass between treatments she might be damaging her hair and it will fall out. 

To answer your question there shouldn’t be a problem. You don’t want the hair clean because the reasons stated above.  Plus you don’t want to scratch the scalp 3-4 days before a treatment.  Women have had their scalps burned while having this treatment. The only thing you can do is wash it out and wait approx. a month for reapplication.  There will be sores in the scalp too.

The best thing I would advise is talk to a hair dresser that familiar with your wife’s hair pattern on her “straightening” options.  If she is dead set on doing a relaxer than consult with an African American hairstylist that is familiar with doing relaxers (this may depend on where you are located in the USA too) …  A person that is skilled with doing a relaxer will know how to “work” the cream on to the hair and “massage” despite it being “dirty” or with silicone.  I must caution that relaxers are super harsh chemical treatments that can really do damage if they are not applied correctly in a certain amount of time and rinsed.  Relaxers are roughly pH >10. Worse comes to worse you can go to a cosmetology school and have a student do the treatment with a teacher at a cut price. 
    I hope this helps… :)

• DaveStone

July 11, 2022 at 7:40 am

Stanley said:

I assume my next question would be why is she choosing to use this product that is mainly used on 4b-4c (4z) curl pattern?  There are other products that might be better suited for her hair pattern which would yield the desired look.

She is using the relaxer because she figures if it can straighten hair curlier than hers, why wouldn’t it work on her.  What other products would be better suited to her hair type? As far as I know, relaxers are the only product that straightens hair.

• stanley

July 11, 2022 at 3:45 pm

You questions are best suited for a hair stylist.  They will be able to judge the condition of wife’s hair and determine the best course of action.  I am only giving you a very generic POV based on experience.  :) I am sure she looks very beautiful with her curls!

I will do my best.  4b-4c hair is more course therefore require stronger chemical treatment.  Please note “course” has different meanings in different ethnic groups.  Not knowing your wife’s hair knowledge and application technique she may damage her hair using this product or any other chemical based product.  This product can be used on other patterns of hair, again I would be concerned with the skill level of the person. Relaxers should normally be applied on to untreated or new growth.  When her hair has “new growth”  this portion will need to be processed only… Not the whole head… This is why I suggest talking to a hairstylist.    I did find a video on you tube of a guy using the ORS relaxer.  

There are a plethora of videos on You tube about straightening hair with similar curl pattern.   

Mens PERMENANT Hair Straightening! [AT HOME] - YouTube

Help with application tips.
     RELAXER ROUTINE: HOW I RELAX MY HAIR | RELAXED HAIR - YouTube

The Brazilian Blowout/Keratin Smoothing was popular a few years ago.  It can be pricey.  Then there was a Japanese treatment too.
     Keratin Smoothing / Straightening Treatment On Men’s Hair | Review - YouTube

Just an article
    https://wekompare.com/chemical-hair-straighteners

Hope this helps…