Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Off Topic What verbiage can I use on a ‘duped’ fragrance.

• What verbiage can I use on a ‘duped’ fragrance.

Posted by graillotion on July 3, 2022 at 9:54 pm

I am a classic conflict avoider… so in order to avoid any issues regarding the scent choices I have made for my emulsified cream deodorant, which is going to offer some major name brand fragrance dupes… (a first for me)…. I thought I would just clarify what I can…and can’t say in my promotional propaganda.

So, I will change the names to protect the guilty.  But as an example, I have a dupe of ‘Jo Malone, Orange Blossom’.  When the vendor is selling it to me…about the only thing I see….is the word ‘type’ used at the end.

So, to avoid conflict with ‘Jo’, do I simply also use the word ‘type’ in my progaganda…and then anything goes?  Can I say…. “Fragrance is a Jo Malone, Orange Blossom type”???  The dupe is of course…NOT purchased or sanctioned by Jo.

Just seems like Jo should or would have some protection from dupes….but maybe I am way off base.  How can I (without issue) market these dupes (verbiage)?

Aloha.

markbroussard replied 1 year, 8 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • squinny

July 3, 2022 at 11:24 pm

This website used the phrase “Inspired By xxx” - I think it sounds better than “Type” - Just a suggestion. Maybe check these links out for ideas? Might alos help with the ‘Fluffy wording” - Cheers
    Perfume Dupes That Smell Like Top Designer Fragrances | DB Cosmetics
    Amore for Women (EDP) 100ml Fragrance | DB Cosmetics

• grapefruit22

July 4, 2022 at 12:14 pm

Jo Malone is a registered trademark, so I don’t think you can use it in advertising your product, even using the word “type”. I would stick to the “orange blossom”.

• markbroussard

July 5, 2022 at 12:23 pm

@Graillotion

Best you not mention any other company, but focus on it being the Graillotion Organge Blossom fragrance.  No point in inviting a negative response, that could be legal, from a company that you have no affiliation with.  Jo Malone Type fragrance does not mean it is a direct dupe of the Jo Malone fragrance, but is similar in nature.