How can thicken decyl glucoside??

Hi
I am working on a mild shampoo with glucoside but I have challenge to thicken this shampoo.I want to use natural thickener but xantan gum separated. I tried HEC and it's separated too.
Formula
Water 64%
PQ-10  0.1%
Lauryl glucoside 10%
Decyl glucoside  20%
Citric acid   
Sodium Banzoate  0.5

Comments

• MarkBroussardMarkBroussard Member, Professional Chemist
    @Sara21

The glucosides being non-ionic are very difficult to thicken ... gums are your best bet.  I would switch from Lauryl Glucoside to Coco Glucoside and you will probably have better luck.  Lauryl Glucoside is very viscous and that is probably what is settling out of solution.
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals & Clean Beauty arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program/Clean At Sephora/Credo Clean guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com
  • PaprikPaprik Member
    Yeah, HEC is no very good in surfactant systems. I have tried to make it work several times - always a fail! 

Xanthan Gum is, however you need to process that correctly. 
    As Mark said, glucosides are hard to thicken and Lauryl especially. 

Frankly, I don't like the feel of only glucosides. I believe you should add at least some amphoteric surfactant. :) 
  • AbdullahAbdullah Member
    edited June 23
    Lauryl glucoside needs heat. 

Just heat it, mix it and cool it. It will gain viscosity. 
    Decyl is difficult to thicken.

As Paprik said, use this shampoo, if you like it then ok. If you didn't like it then no need to find out how to thicken it. 
    Change the formula completely. 
  • Sara21Sara21 Member
    Thanks alot for your help
    I try what you suggested and I tell here the result 
  • StanleyStanley Member
    Use Cocoamide mipa or something similar.  Lower or remove Decyl glucoside and use just for bubble effect. Choose different surfactants.
  • ketchitoketchito Member
    @Sara21 You could alternatively replace PQ-10 by Guar HPTC at 0.2%, which will also help a bit with your viscosity (there is a special grade for clear products). And don't forget to add disodium EDTA to boost preservation. 
  • evchem2evchem2 Member
    When are you adding the xanthan gum and the PQ 10?