Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Advanced Questions Loosing viscosity after sometimes

• Loosing viscosity after sometimes

Posted by saeedulfat on June 20, 2022 at 11:31 am

Hi friends.i have issue with making shampoo formulation.

> Question about loosing the viscosity.
    >
    > My formulation
    > Sles 21%
    > Sodium chloride 2%
    > Egds 1.5%
    > Polyqauternium 7. 2%
    > Capb30% 5%
    > Titanium dioxide 0.3%
    > Sodium benzoate 1.2%
    > Fragrance qs
    > Salt 2to3 %
    > Water 65%
    > My preparition.firs sles with sodium chloride and take some water stir for
    > 10 minutes then add egds and heat until boiling and add pq 7 and stir and
    > the end add sodium benzoate after 24 hours add capb30% and add fragrance at
    > the end for viscosity add more sodium chloride.but sometimes after 2 or 5
    > months the shampoo will lose the viscosity same like water and thin.what is
    > the cause?
    abdullah replied 1 year, 8 months ago 7 Members · 33 Replies
  • 33 Replies
  • ketchito

June 20, 2022 at 12:19 pm

@saeedulfat Usually CAPB and NaCl are added as the last ingredients, to reach the final viscosity (unless you have a cationic polymer, in which case, you could use some CAPB before your cationic polymer, to avoid direct interaction with your anionic surfactant). Also, why do you wait 24 hours to add CAPB? 

• saeedulfat

June 20, 2022 at 3:27 pm

ketchito said:

@saeedulfat Usually CAPB and NaCl are added as the last ingredients, to reach the final viscosity (unless you have a cationic polymer, in which case, you could use some CAPB before your cationic polymer, to avoid direct interaction with your anionic surfactant). Also, why do you wait 24 hours to add CAPB? 

Yah . thanks for reply. Yes i add at the end capb and salt . And about after 24 hours because I have making shampoo in hot process.after 24 hours the batch is normal temperature.then i add capb and salt.

• paprik

June 20, 2022 at 7:00 pm

A few questions on your formula. 

So you’re adding salt (Sodium chloride) twice? And you end up sometimes at 5%? ..
    Do not add the salt at the beginning and only use it at the end. You may “over-salt” it and that is why you lose viscosity. First check and adjust final pH though.

What is your final pH? 

Your ONLY preservative is sodium benzoate? At 1.2%??!!?

• saeedulfat

June 20, 2022 at 7:20 pm

Thanks sir. The first salt for dissolve the SLES and i arrange ph 6 
    About the preservative isn’t it enough or add to another preservative. I also have more preservatives like dm dm hydantoin.methylparaben . probablyparaben and formaldehyde.i also have different weathers season when we made shampoo in 20 temperature or less then and when the time is  going and the temperature get to from 34 to 40 temperature shampoo will loose viscosity.what about the gums or carbomers?

• abdullah

June 21, 2022 at 3:13 am

You said your viscosity is lost after several months. It viscosity ok at first? 

If yes, heat some product that has enough viscosity slowly to evaporate some water and see if viscosity increase or decrease.

If viscosity decreased it means you have too much salt as Paprik said and also water is evaporating from your final package.

• paprik

June 21, 2022 at 3:27 am

I don’t think you need salt to get SLES dissolved? At least I have never heard of it.

The final pH is 6? Ok, you are facing another possible problem - microbial contamination. Even though you are using probably 400% of recommended input of Sodium Benzoate, it won’t work as it needs low pH (<5). It is also known to be quite irritating (even at 0.3%). You need to add some Bactericidal, such as DMDM Hydantoin. 

• abdullah

June 21, 2022 at 5:49 am

Paprik said:

I don’t think you need salt to get SLES dissolved? At least I have never heard of it.

The final pH is 6? Ok, you are facing another possible problem - microbial contamination. Even though you are using probably 400% of recommended input of Sodium Benzoate, it won’t work as it needs low pH (<5). It is also known to be quite irritating (even at 0.3%). You need to add some Bactericidal, such as DMDM Hydantoin. 

Mixing high amount of salt reduces the viscosity of SLES paste so it will become easier yo work with.

• paprik

June 21, 2022 at 6:56 am

But, is it really necessary? If you put the paste into water and maybe heat it a little, doesn’t it turn into thin solution quickly? 
    (Just guessing, I’ve never worked with it). For me you are the SLS and SLES expert :D 

• saeedulfat

June 21, 2022 at 8:13 am

Abdullah yes the first time viscosity is ok . When made in cold season and get to hot season this time the shampoo lose viscosity.and what about the carbomer for viscosity control ?

• saeedulfat

June 21, 2022 at 8:19 am

Mr paprik if i dissolve sles without salt it makes alots bubbles and without salt couldn’t full dissolve sles .and DMDM hydantoin 0.3% and sodium benzoate is 0.3% is okay?

• ketchito

June 21, 2022 at 11:41 am

@saeedulfat The problem, as @Paprik mentioned, is that you might be oversalting your product. Ionic surfactants have a salt curve, which means, they increase in viscosity as you add salt, reaching a maximum, and then falling down. Some systems have more than one peak. I’d make a salt curve of your systems to know if you’re oversalting it or not.

• saeedulfat

June 21, 2022 at 12:28 pm

Great sounds. Could i use carbopol for viscosity and thickening. Sometimes i use  mica and titanium dioxide in others shampoo for suspending ?

• drjaysee

June 21, 2022 at 1:41 pm

ketchito said:

@saeedulfat The problem, as @Paprik mentioned, is that you might be oversalting your product. Ionic surfactants have a salt curve, which means, they increase in viscosity as you add salt, reaching a maximum, and then falling down. Some systems have more than one peak. I’d make a salt curve of your systems to know if you’re oversalting it or not.

@ketchito you said salt curve so if salt amount, goes beyond the peak of viscosity and then viscosity fall down so how to regain the viscosity? Is there any ingredient to regain the viscosity or throw whatever made. Another thing how to measure that particular amount of salt that goes to maximum viscosity. Sometimes we continuously adding salt to get more and more viscosity and the result , whatever viscosity was there, we lost that too😄

• abdullah

June 21, 2022 at 3:24 pm

Paprik said:

But, is it really necessary? If you put the paste into water and maybe heat it a little, doesn’t it turn into thin solution quickly? 
    (Just guessing, I’ve never worked with it). For me you are the SLS and SLES expert :D 

No it is not necessary. 
    If you don’t use high shear or heat, this is one another option to make the process easier. It works better in products that need more NACL and less SLES. 

• abdullah

June 21, 2022 at 3:35 pm

Abdullah yes the first time viscosity is ok . When made in cold season and get to hot season this time the shampoo lose viscosity.and what about the carbomer for viscosity control ?

You can use whatever you want but i am more on the side of budget friendly ingredients and there are a lot of good and budget friendly options like guar gum, xanthan gum, HPMC and more that you can choose. As you have no problem with NACL the best option is NACL. 

Best way is to purchase some liquid SLES or make a 25% solution from paste with high shear, then makes a sample with that, then add NACL in small amounts and see with how much NACL you get desired viscosity without shifting to other side of salt curve. 

• saeedulfat

June 21, 2022 at 4:08 pm

That is right. But a question mr Abdullah some gums and carbomer incompatible with electrolytes like salt for me best option to uses suspending agents because sometimes i uses mica and titanium dioxide

• abdullah

June 21, 2022 at 5:14 pm

Gums like xanthan, guar or HPMC are very compatible with NACL.

• drjaysee

June 21, 2022 at 5:55 pm

Abdullah said:

You can use whatever you want but i am more on the side of budget friendly ingredients and there are a lot of good and budget friendly options like guar gum, xanthan gum, HPMC and more that you can choose. As you have no problem with NACL the best option is NACL. 

Best way is to purchase some liquid SLES or make a 25% solution from paste with high shear, then makes a sample with that, then add NACL in small amounts and see with how much NACL you get desired viscosity without shifting to other side of salt curve. 

@Abdullah so how much of salt for desired viscosity can measured by experiment and experiment only? Am I right ?

• saeedulfat

June 21, 2022 at 7:12 pm

Abdullah said:

Great . Xanthine gum concentration 0.5 or 1% enough and sodium benzoate 1.2% as preservative right or increase ?

• evchem2

June 21, 2022 at 8:11 pm

Don’t increase the sodium benzoate any more you are already well over the recommended use level. If your pH is 6 it is not actively preserving anyway. Swap our for one of your other listed preservatives (parabens? Not sure how well they perform in surfactant systems) and keep to use levels that are realistic for the product (<0.1%). More is not always better

• abdullah

June 22, 2022 at 3:00 am

Abdullah said:

@Abdullah so how much of salt for desired viscosity can measured by experiment and experiment only? Am I right ?

I mean do like this 
    Make the shampoo, it will be water thin 

Add 0.2% NACL, mix and see the viscosity

Then add 0.2% more, mix and see the viscosity. 

Do like this until you reach the viscosity you want. 

Then note that. 

• abdullah

June 22, 2022 at 3:05 am

Abdullah said:

Great . Xanthine gum concentration 0.5 or 1% enough and sodium benzoate 1.2% as preservative right or increase ?

What equipments do you have for mixing? 

Xanthan gum needs high shear mixing.

For preservative i only recommend formaldehyde or a releaser or CMI MI in shampoo with some EDTA and small amount ≤0.5% sodium benzoate as helper. 

• ketchito

June 22, 2022 at 3:58 am

ketchito said:

@ketchito you said salt curve so if salt amount, goes beyond the peak of viscosity and then viscosity fall down so how to regain the viscosity? Is there any ingredient to regain the viscosity or throw whatever made. Another thing how to measure that particular amount of salt that goes to maximum viscosity. Sometimes we continuously adding salt to get more and more viscosity and the result , whatever viscosity was there, we lost that too😄

Sometimes you have more than one peak in your salt curve, so you could keep adding salt. Alternatively, you could add water to dilute the effect of salt. Or add some rheology modifier.

• saeedulfat

June 22, 2022 at 4:36 am

Thanks alots. Paprik and Abdullah. And More i will try it .

• drjaysee

June 22, 2022 at 12:40 pm

ketchito said:

ketchito said:

Sometimes you have more than one peak in your salt curve, so you could keep adding salt. Alternatively, you could add water to dilute the effect of salt. Or add some rheology modifier.

@ketchito thanks a lot. 

Page 1 of 2