Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Advanced Questions What ingredients provide skin conditioning in face & bodywash like polymer & silicone does for hair?

• What ingredients provide skin conditioning in face & bodywash like polymer & silicone does for hair?

Posted by abdullah on June 12, 2022 at 3:37 pm

Everyone want good shampoo, face wash, bodywash. 
    For me, a good shampoo is the one that has silicone & cationic polymer other than having good foam. I am using cationic guar+ Amodimethicone.
    Now in a face or bodywash i don’t know what is the equivalent of silicone+ polymer in shampoo.

I have made different face & bodywash products with
    SLES alone 
    SLES+ CAPB
    SLES+CAPB+APG
    SLES+ CAPB+ cationic guar
    SLES+CAPB+ glyceryl oleate
    SLES+ CAPB+ cationic guar+ glyceryl oleate

The only noticeable different in all these was foam. Other than that, after feel or skin conditioning was the same or i can say no conditioning at all  

My question is: which ingredients in face or bodywash gives noticable skin conditioning effect the same way that polymer+ silicone gives to hair?

abdullah replied 1 year, 9 months ago 7 Members · 27 Replies
  • 27 Replies
  • MariaGarcia

June 13, 2022 at 12:02 pm
    I’m just a student and maybe I’m talking nonsense, but I think that the needs and therefore the conditioning mechanisms are not the same for hair or skin, so there are no exact analogs. I understand that hair conditioning depends more on aspects such as pH, ionic charge (and that is why cationic substances are used) or the closing of the cuticle. In a shampoo I understand that the type of surfactants used also makes a big difference (I don’t have much experience but I have achieved results that I really like using a combination of anionic, non-ionic and amphoteric surfactants). I would also add some refatting agent, and some active ingredient (I personally love the effect of inulin).
    In the case of skin, I believe that conditioning depends on maintaining and reinforcing the barrier function of the skin so it is important that the mixture of surfactants is effective but gentle (and in lower imputs than in shampoos), and at least, a refatting agent and a moisturizer should be incorporated, or even an very small imput of a lipid. It doesn’t make sense to me to use a cationic ingredient in a face or body wash.
    I find that anyway it is not a single product that achieves the result, but the proper combination and proportion of all of them.
  • ketchito

June 13, 2022 at 12:03 pm

@Abdullah You should feel a difference with a Guar HPTC formula…maybe you need to increase the level. Also, you could add some silicone (same principle as in hair).

• abdullah

June 13, 2022 at 12:30 pm

I’m just a student and maybe I’m talking nonsense, but I think that the needs and therefore the conditioning mechanisms are not the same for hair or skin, so there are no exact analogs. I understand that hair conditioning depends more on aspects such as pH, ionic charge (and that is why cationic substances are used) or the closing of the cuticle. In a shampoo I understand that the type of surfactants used also makes a big difference (I don’t have much experience but I have achieved results that I really like using a combination of anionic, non-ionic and amphoteric surfactants). I would also add some refatting agent, and some active ingredient (I personally love the effect of inulin).
    In the case of skin, I believe that conditioning depends on maintaining and reinforcing the barrier function of the skin so it is important that the mixture of surfactants is effective but gentle (and in lower imputs than in shampoos), and at least, a refatting agent and a moisturizer should be incorporated, or even an very small imput of a lipid. It doesn’t make sense to me to use a cationic ingredient in a face or body wash.
    I find that anyway it is not a single product that achieves the result, but the proper combination and proportion of all of them.

Thanks

• abdullah

June 13, 2022 at 12:36 pm

ketchito said:

@Abdullah You should feel a difference with a Guar HPTC formula…maybe you need to increase the level. Also, you could add some silicone (same principle as in hair).

I definitely see a difference in foam but I can’t notice any difference on my skin. 

What type of effect should i look for in guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride in skin cleanser?

For hair i am using Amodimethicone. 
    I have experienced that if i used Amodimethicone too much or in wrong way in shampoo, it irritates the scalp. Is it safe to use Amodimethicone in skin products?

• Cafe33

June 15, 2022 at 4:29 am

Are you open to changing your surfactant system? 

Also, Polyquat-39 can be an impressive addition in my experience. 

• ketchito

June 15, 2022 at 2:49 pm

@Abdullah Usually, you don’t use a high quat load in skin products (yes, catonic surfactants are more irritating in leave on products, specially when applied on the skin), but a bit of Guar HPTC won’t hurt (usually, you feel a velvety dry fealing when skin is dry). Also, for skin cleansers I’d prefer a non-charged silicone (like Dimethicone). 

• abdullah

June 15, 2022 at 3:56 pm

ketchito said:

@Abdullah Usually, you don’t use a high quat load in skin products (yes, catonic surfactants are more irritating in leave on products, specially when applied on the skin), but a bit of Guar HPTC won’t hurt (usually, you feel a velvety dry fealing when skin is dry). Also, for skin cleansers I’d prefer a non-charged silicone (like Dimethicone). 

Thanks
    Any preference about viscosity of dimethicone for skin?

• abdullah

June 15, 2022 at 3:57 pm

Cafe33 said:

Are you open to changing your surfactant system? 

Also, Polyquat-39 can be an impressive addition in my experience. 

Yes i am always willing to change and improve.

• MariaGarcia

June 15, 2022 at 4:11 pm

I never stop learning on this forum. What is the benefit of adding cationic substances to skin products? I was convinced that they were only used in hair products to combat frizz.

• abdullah

June 16, 2022 at 3:42 am

I never stop learning on this forum. What is the benefit of adding cationic substances to skin products? I was convinced that they were only used in hair products to combat frizz.

Come people likes the way they feel

• MariaGarcia

June 16, 2022 at 10:30 am

Interesting. Thank you, Abdullah.

• Cafe33

June 17, 2022 at 5:57 pm

@Abdullah, it might be a bit of a challenge using SLES and trying to create a good skin feel. I am by no means an expert but all of my attempt were failures. I switched to a different surfactant system using Sarcosinate, Decyl Glucoside, CAPB with some Lamesoft PO 65 or some PEG 7 Glyceryl Oleate. You will have to thicken it of course. I found Ultrez 20 to work well but it might make the price of your formula too high. 

• bill_toge

June 17, 2022 at 6:02 pm
    generally speaking, refatting agents (e.g. PEG-8 olive glycerides) improve the skin-feel
    using sodium cocoyl glutamate as a secondary surfactant also gives the product a pleasant after-feel
    using Methocel as a thickener also boosts the foam and improves the skin-feel
  • abdullah

June 18, 2022 at 8:27 am

@Bill_Toge thanks 

Should i use PEG-8 olive glycerides with deposition aid like cationic guar or if used alone can also improve skin feel.

By methocel, do you mean Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose or something else? 
    Can you write the inci name please.

• zetein

June 18, 2022 at 10:45 am
  • abdullah

June 18, 2022 at 11:24 am

zetein said:

How to download it in English? 

• bill_toge

June 20, 2022 at 8:32 pm

Abdullah said:

a high-viscosity grade of hydroxypropyl methylcellulose

• abdullah

June 21, 2022 at 2:58 am

Bill_Toge said:

Abdullah said:

a high-viscosity grade of hydroxypropyl methylcellulose

Thanks

• abdullah

June 21, 2022 at 3:03 am

@Bill_Togewhat percentage of total surfactant should be sodium cocoyl glutamate at least to be able to notice the skin feel? 

• zetein

June 21, 2022 at 4:59 am
    You can’t. But you can see the auto-translation scrolling down that page.
  • abdullah

June 21, 2022 at 5:44 am

Abdullah said:

@Bill_Togewhat percentage of total surfactant should be sodium cocoyl glutamate at least to be able to notice the skin feel? 

What percentage of total surfactant should be sodium cocoyl glutamate at least to be able to notice the skin feel? 

• bill_toge

June 24, 2022 at 6:49 pm

@Abdullah I found 2-5% w/w to be effective

• abdullah

June 25, 2022 at 11:47 am

Bill_Toge said:

@Abdullah I found 2-5% w/w to be effective

Thanks

• grapefruit22

June 27, 2022 at 2:27 pm

@Abdullah Maybe you can take a look at what ingredients are generally used by other moisturizing face cleansers - for example Fresh Soy Cleanser is quite popular.

• abdullah

June 28, 2022 at 4:02 am

@Abdullah Maybe you can take a look at what ingredients are generally used by other moisturizing face cleansers - for example Fresh Soy Cleanser is quite popular.

Have you used this product? 

If yes, what did you like about it? 

When i checked the ingredients, it has only coco glucoside for cleansing which can dry the skin, everything else looks to be below 1% and nothing in it looks like a skin conditioner to me. 

https://www.sephora.com/product/soy-face-cleanser-P7880

Aqua (Water), Coco-Glucoside, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Propanediol, Xanthan Gum, 1,2-Hexanediol, Polyglyceryl-10 Laurate, Centaurea Cyanus Flower Water, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Borago Officinalis Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Rosa Damascena Extract, Rosa Damascena Flower Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Flower Extract, Rosa Damascena Flower Oil, Tocopherol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Caprylyl Glycol, Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters, Silica, Citric Acid, Pentylene Glycol, Caramel, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate.

Page 1 of 2