Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Innovation Growth factors and stem cells

Tagged: 

• Growth factors and stem cells

Posted by Rockstargirl on June 8, 2022 at 2:02 am

Does anyone buy into these? Why or why not? 

I think they are just a claims ingredient, but had two derms insist they are amazing. What are your thoughts? And yes I mean topically in skin. 
    Rockstargirl replied 1 year, 9 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • markbroussard

June 8, 2022 at 12:23 pm

Stems cells are just highly purified plant extracts that are manufactured by plant stem cells so they will not have much effect.

Growth Factors are a different case and this is probably what the derms are focusing on.

• oldperry

June 8, 2022 at 12:48 pm

Here are my thoughts on the subject of stem cells in cosmetics.
    Basically, I think they are promising but the technology at the moment is simply a claims ingredient with little to no benefit. 

I’m also highly skeptical that people will see any real effects from topically applied growth factors. These may show promise in cell cultures in the lab but this has not translated into actual topically applied products.

Some derms are better trained than others and while their advice about skin diseases and conditions is reliable, I’d have much less faith in their advice about daily skin care maintenance. They are easily misinformed & some are motivated to get you to buy into a marketing story so you buy products from them.

• Rockstargirl

June 8, 2022 at 2:54 pm

Stems cells are just highly purified plant extracts that are manufactured by plant stem cells so they will not have much effect.

Growth Factors are a different case and this is probably what the derms are focusing on.

Thanks Mark. This makes sense. I’ll study up more on growth factors. I thought they were just humectants. 

• Rockstargirl

June 8, 2022 at 2:56 pm

Perry said:

Basically, I think they are promising but the technology at the moment is simply a claims ingredient with little to no benefit. 

I’m also highly skeptical that people will see any real effects from topically applied growth factors. These may show promise in cell cultures in the lab but this has not translated into actual topically applied products.

Some derms are better trained than others and while their advice about skin diseases and conditions is reliable, I’d have much less faith in their advice about daily skin care maintenance. They are easily misinformed & some are motivated to get you to buy into a marketing story so you buy products from them.

Thanks Perry. The derms also had a stake in the stem cell company soooo. But did spend a good amount of time telling me plant and human cells are the same. Red flag right away, but authority bias hit!

• markbroussard

June 8, 2022 at 3:44 pm

Perry said:

Thanks Perry. The derms also had a stake in the stem cell company soooo. But did spend a good amount of time telling me plant and human cells are the same. Red flag right away, but authority bias hit

@Rockstargirl

FYI:  I have leaves instead of ears if that helps you any

• Rockstargirl

June 8, 2022 at 4:11 pm

Perry said:

Thanks Perry. The derms also had a stake in the stem cell company soooo. But did spend a good amount of time telling me plant and human cells are the same. Red flag right away, but authority bias hit

@Rockstargirl

FYI:  I have leaves instead of ears if that helps you any

Leaves. 🤣 dead 

• oldperry

June 8, 2022 at 5:43 pm

The derms also had a stake in the stem cell company soooo. But did spend a good amount of time telling me plant and human cells are the same. Red flag right away, but authority bias hit!

@Rockstargirl - I always wonder about the quality of any derm who needs to supplement their income by selling dubious anti-aging skin care lines.

• Rockstargirl

June 8, 2022 at 6:11 pm

Perry said:

The derms also had a stake in the stem cell company soooo. But did spend a good amount of time telling me plant and human cells are the same. Red flag right away, but authority bias hit!

@Rockstargirl - I always wonder about the quality of any derm who needs to supplement their income by selling dubious anti-aging skin care lines.

100% this. But they are also dancing on tiktok for soap. Perhaps dermatology doesn’t pay what it use too