Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Skin Is 0.4-0.5% salicylic acid in emulsion ok for baby products?

• Is 0.4-0.5% salicylic acid in emulsion ok for baby products?

Posted by abdullah on May 29, 2022 at 2:23 pm

I am making a moisturizing lotion at pH 4.5. currently adjusting pH with citric acid.

i have made samples with using salicylic acid instead of citric acid to adjust pH. 0.4% salicylic acid is enough to adjust pH to 4.5.
    I like the version with salicylic acid to provide that extra benefits of it too. 
    This Product will be applied to dry face, hand and feet of people at all ages. 

My question is: is 0.4-0.5% salicylic acid in emulsion safe for babies?

If no then for above what age childs it is safe for?

abdullah replied 1 year, 10 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • ozgirl

May 31, 2022 at 10:13 pm
    In Europe Salicylic acid is prohibited for children under 3 years of age.

• abdullah

June 1, 2022 at 12:00 am

@ozgirl thanks 

As i am not in Europe, this doesn’t apply to me. In fact there is no regulation about it here.
    My concern is about it’s safety for babies.
    Is it safe for babies?

Is it allowed in in US or any other improved county in baby leave on product? 

• ozgirl

June 1, 2022 at 12:56 am
    I remember reading somewhere that the issue is that young children already have potentially high salicylate exposure due to teething gels and thus adding an extra exposure may make it unsafe.
    The European Cosmetics regulations are based on science so I personally wouldn’t risk it when you have an alternative that is safe and works.
    Salicylic Acid is also restricted under ASEAN Cosmetic regulations and is not to be used in products for children under 3 (except shampoo).
  • abdullah

June 1, 2022 at 5:12 am

ozgirl said:

I remember reading somewhere that the issue is that young children already have potentially high salicylate exposure due to teething gels and thus adding an extra exposure may make it unsafe.
    The European Cosmetics regulations are based on science so I personally wouldn’t risk it when you have an alternative that is safe and works.
    Salicylic Acid is also restricted under ASEAN Cosmetic regulations and is not to be used in products for children under 3 (except shampoo).

Thanks