Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Face serum changes color- Help!

• Face serum changes color- Help!

Posted by Jimmychemie on May 3, 2022 at 7:02 pm
    Hi everyone! I got an issue with a water only serum formulation which after a month changes color and from being clear turns greenish/brown. The formula is the following:

Water
    Propanediol
    Butylene glycol
    Hyaluronic acid
    Saccharomyces Lysate (Blend with aminoacids and Disodium Succinate)
    D ribose 
    Inositol
    Xantham gum
    Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer (Ultrez 20)
    Arginine
    Caprylyl glycol
    1,2 Hexanediol
    Phenoxyethanol
    Ethylhexylglycerin
    Disodium EDTA (0.2%)

I suspect that the issue has to do with the presence of the sugars ribose and inositol. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
    Jimmychemie replied 1 year, 10 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • oldperry

May 3, 2022 at 7:51 pm

Greenish brown sounds like a microbial problem. 
    But you could try removing the lysate, ribose, inositol and arginine and see if the problem goes away. Those ingredients are not having any beneficial effect anyway.

• grapefruit22

May 4, 2022 at 11:06 am
  • ketchito

May 4, 2022 at 11:13 am

@Jimmychemie If the issue is Maillard reaction, you could add some Ascorbic acid, ti see if the issue is resolved. But as @Perry mentioned, many of the ingredients in your formula don’t have any purpose, so if you want rommto keep them for marketing purposes, keep them at the lowest amount possible (0.01% or so).

• Jimmychemie

May 5, 2022 at 6:45 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
     @grapefruit22 yes the mid photo in the 2nd figure (d ribose +lysine) is similar to what I am getting. I will try ascorbic acid or removing/ readjusting quantities and see if the change still occurs.