Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating What stability parameter should I include in low water content system?

• What stability parameter should I include in low water content system?

Posted by ShawnL9022 on April 26, 2022 at 2:30 pm

Hi guys,

Coming here to see if any experienced professional can give me a hint. I am currently working on a scrub. It has around 65% Sugar. The rest of the formula is surfactants, preservatives, and perfume. The total water content is less than 10%. Nothing fancy was added. 

One question when it comes to the stability phase, I was known taking a direct reading of pH is not accurate because the water content is low. In this case, should I dilute the product? If dilution is needed, what is the rule for dilution?

Another question is the specific gravity. Previously I was using a Gardner SPG cup to measure SPG. However, in this case, the sugar particles are too large to be squeezed out. Have anyone here used something else to measure SPG?

Thanks!

gordof replied 1 year, 11 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • gordof

April 29, 2022 at 7:19 am

hi There 

Why do you need the Ph if the Product is not easy to measure because of the low water concentration? you can just not include ph measuring. If you still want to do mote go by a dilution of 1/10 to measure that. 

For the Specific Gravity, you can just measure the Volume of a beaker that is completely field with water at 20′ °C and then fill the same beaker Air free with your Product and Weight it is not as Accurate as a Gardner SPG cup but it will give you enough information for filling the right amount.