Do esters require an antioxidant?

Specifically, I am thinking to incorporate NatraSil (Hydrogenated Ethylhexyl Olivate, Hydrogenated Olive Oil Unsaponifiables) into my moisturizer at around 2-3%. 

Will I need to add an antioxidant like tocopherol if I do this? There are no other components in the formula that require one.

Thank you!

Comments

• I guess that if they are hydrogenated there should not be double bonds but it would be great to hear opinion of professionals.
  • CamelCamel Member
    I guess that if they are hydrogenated there should not be double bonds but it would be great to hear opinion of professionals.
    Thank you; hopefully others will offer some insight!
  • I side with @ngarayeva001. By the way @ngarayeva001, I read another post you just made and trust me, even you might not consider yourself a professional, you have more knowledge and experience than many "pros" around, so cheers  :)  
  • MarkBroussardMarkBroussard Member, Professional Chemist
    @Camel:

You are mixing up a couple of different things, Esters and Hydrogenated Oils are not one and the same:  (1) Esters generally do not require an antioxidant unless there is a component of the chemical structure that contains unsaturated C-C double bonds.  The Ester component is an alkylated hydroxyl group that has nothing to do with unsaturated C-C double bonds, the structure is generically C-O-R where R is any alkyl group.  (2) Hydrogenated Oils are oils in which the C-C double bond has been "hydrogenated" ... the C-C double bonds have been converted to a C-C single bond by the addition of Hydrogen atoms to each carbon of the C-C double bond.  The C-C double bond is what makes oils more susceptible to oxidation with benefits from the addition of an antioxidant. 
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com
  • CamelCamel Member
    @MarkBroussard - Thank you for clarifying and providing that thorough explanation!