Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Hair detangling

• Hair detangling

Posted by Zara on April 16, 2022 at 1:57 pm
    Hi everyone,
    I am trying to make a very light hair detangler for my very fine hair:)
    I’ve made the formula below, it is ok but not very good. My problem with this formula is,
    1 - I’ve noticed some residue at the bottom of bottle after 2 weeks which I would love your opinion on any incompatibility in the formula 
    2 - How to improve the detangling property of the formula.

The list of ingredients 

Water,  Propandiol  4% , Cetrimonium Chloride 2%, Glycerine 2%, Sodium PCA 2%, Polyquat 7 2%
    And the rest are 1% or under

Poyquat 53, Hydrolysed Wheat Protein, Hydrolysed jojoba Protein/soy, Caprylic capric glucoside, Glycereth-26, Arginine, Betain, Citric Acid, Glyceryl Cocoate, Levulinic Acid / Sodium Levulinate, Bis-Ethyl(isostearylimidazoline) Isostearamide 

Also, is there any of the following polymers nonionic? 

* Polyquat 10
    * Polyacrylate Crosspolymer-6
    * Capryloyl Glycerin/Sebacic Acid Copolymer, Diheptyl Succinate
    * Guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride
    * Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer 
    * Dehydroxanthan Gum
    * Maltodextrin / VP Copolymer 

I really appreciate your time and help in advance. 

Zara replied 1 year, 11 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Zara

April 16, 2022 at 2:34 pm

Sorry but I have another question,
    Is there any of those polymers in the list or even Hyaluronic acid would lend a better glide and detangling to the formula with no compatibility issue.
    Thanks

• Ryan23294

April 16, 2022 at 8:37 pm

You could try n350 as it mimics dimethicone in products.  I’ve used it at 5% and it’s great at detangling but maybe start with 3%
    http://www.crafters-choice.com/handmade101/learn-to-make-articles/a-chemists-perspective-on-luxglide-n5-and-n350.aspx

• Zara

April 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm

@Ryan23294 , thanks for your reply. I’ve bought this ingredient because I heard a lot about it but it is too heavy for my hair. My hair can’t tolerate more than 0.5g. Thanks again