Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Off Topic Need Suggestions & Ideas

• Need Suggestions & Ideas

Posted by markwood on April 15, 2022 at 7:18 am
    Hi, I have a small business in US where I sell cosmetics and perfume for gents and ladies. I provide a variety of perfumes and cosmetics. Both the cosmetics and perfume are high-quality. But, despite all the quality, the sale is not satisfactory. So here, I’m looking for suggestions to grow my sales. Kindly, share some ideas that can help me improve my business. Thank you!
    HazelBae replied 1 year, 11 months ago 7 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • camel

April 15, 2022 at 7:40 am

Marketing is key. You could make the highest quality product, but without the marketing to back it, no one will care (unfortunately). 

Learn marketing (or hire an expert). Create a story for your brand. Create a story for each product. Communicate the difference between your brand/product and another brand/product. Convince them why they should buy into your brand vs. another brand. 

If you look at the best selling cosmetics, they all have elaborate marketing stories backing them. It also helps to have eye-catching packaging/labeling/branding. 

• grapefruit22

April 15, 2022 at 10:48 am

This is a very general question. What marketing strategies have you tried so far, which ones have helped and which have not changed anything? You can try cooperation with mid-tier influencers, instagram campaign, cooperation with retailers. Some of them are eager to cooperate with small brands. Some small brand profiles look like a scam if their profiles don’t show real people, real reviews, or you can’t find any information about them outside of their websites.

• oldperry

April 15, 2022 at 1:51 pm

I agree with @Camel - It’s all about the marketing. 

Here are some useful resources.

1. https://storybrand.com/  (Their book is pretty good)
    2. https://ducttapemarketing.com/ (I like this guy’s stuff a lot)

The most important thing to do is to figure out why you are different than all the competitors and who your audience is.  Then email marketing & advertising does the rest.

• markbroussard

April 15, 2022 at 2:26 pm

@markwood

Could you please clarify:

(1)  Do you develop your own branded perfumes and cosmetics or are you a retailer of other branded products?

(2)  Are you brick/mortar business, online only business or both brick/mortar and online

The appropriate strategy will depend on the type of business you are operating.

• pattsi

April 16, 2022 at 6:59 am

@markwood

Could you please clarify:

(1)  Do you develop your own branded perfumes and cosmetics or are you a retailer of other branded products?

(2)  Are you brick/mortar business, online only business or both brick/mortar and online

The appropriate strategy will depend on the type of business you are operating.

I second Mark.
    I would say find your own identity first other wise you might just end up being one of Sephora dupe shops.
    Products for non-binary, exotic perfumes might attract some interest.
    Also brands have promotional budgets, you can contact authorized representatives for promotion pitch.

• HazelBae

April 18, 2022 at 6:46 am

markwood said:

Hi, I have a small business in US where I sell cosmetics and perfume for gents and ladies. I provide a variety of perfumes and cosmetics. Both the cosmetics and perfume are high-quality. But, despite all the quality, the sale is not satisfactory. So here, I’m looking for suggestions to grow my sales. Kindly, share some ideas that can help me improve my business. Thank you!

hey, 
    I would like to suggest that you build an online presence for your business. The online presence includes: building an optimized website to get potential Audiences from search engines, creating a social media page (use any available one in your country), publishing ads on your social media page, and many more. If you already have a website, you need to give it more exposure to get more traffic and hence more sales and more conversions. This is time taking process but is very effective, let some professionals do it, hire some agency like Brands Design (i would personally suggest) they got affordable packages.