Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Body Wash Formula

Tagged: ,

• Body Wash Formula

Posted by Ichlas on April 12, 2022 at 2:21 am
    I am developing a body wash formula using these surfactants:
    14.25% SLS
    2% Cocamide DEA
    1.8% Lauryl Hydroxysultaine
    what do you guys think about this formula? I’ve been hearing a lot of concerns about SLS being irritating to the skin. Is it not safe to use SLS in long term usage?
    I personally have been using this formula for 2 weeks and haven’t been feeling any discomfort on my skin.
    SashaHayz replied 1 year, 11 months ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • abdullah

April 12, 2022 at 2:53 am

Is this amount active surfactant percentage? 

If yes, then i would reduce total surface percentage.

There is no problem in that if you like it. 

• camel

April 12, 2022 at 3:25 am

SLS has been evaluated as safe-to-use in rinse-off applications by the CIR. The reason sulfates have a bad reputation is merely due to scaremongering tactics. In fact, sulfates are the most commonly used surfactants in commercial shampoos and body washes. 

I agree that if those percentages are in active surfactant matter, they should be reduced to a total around 10-15%. 

If you have been using the formula for two weeks and like it, there is probably no problem with it. 

• ketchito

April 12, 2022 at 1:26 pm

@Ichlas For some consumers, SLS and SLES based formulas can be a bit sensitizing, especially if the product is not well fomulated. That’s why Cocamidopropyl betaine was introduced in cleansing cosmetics, to reduce the irritation protential from those anionics, so you could use either SLS or SLES but balancing it with some amount of CAPB.

• SashaHayz

April 12, 2022 at 1:59 pm

Ichlas said:

I am developing a body wash formula using these surfactants:
    14.25% SLS
    2% Cocamide DEA
    1.8% Lauryl Hydroxysultaine
    what do you guys think about this formula? I’ve been hearing a lot of concerns about SLS being irritating to the skin. Is it not safe to use SLS in long term usage?
    I personally have been using this formula for 2 weeks and haven’t been feeling any discomfort on my skin.

SLS is safe just dont use too much because it can be a bit irritating at higher percentages.