I need help looking for a STICKY ingredient....yes really!!

Whilst I am aware most of us formulators do everything we possible can to reduce anything even resembling stickiness....in this context I am actually looking to find an ingredient that is as sticky as possible!  I am trying to make my own surfboard wax, and so far all my attempts are terrible as they leave an oily wax, not a sticky wax.  I have used combinations of beeswax, coconut oil, stearic acid and tree resin.  I am attempting to create a reef friendly non-paraffin version.  Can anyone think of a sticky ingredient I could experiment with?!  Free surfboard wax coming your way if I succeed. 

Comments

• Try to add a wax with a higher melting point, like rice bran wax or carnauba.
  • AbdullahAbdullah Member
    Shea butter
  • Lanolin, vegan lanolin..
  • emma1985emma1985 Member
    edited April 6
    Castor Oil. It's very viscous, sticky and substantive. That's why it's used so much in lip products. Unrefined and cold pressed Pomegranate Seed Oil is also viscous and sticky, similar to Castor.
  • PaprikPaprik Member
    Lecithin
  • BeanpodBeanpod Member
    Thanks everyone.  I will try each of these, although pomegranate oil would be an expensive option for sure! Carnauba, Shea, Lanolin, Castor and Lecithin here we come.  Happily I have all of those in stock. I'll let you know the outcomes.
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    edited April 8
    @Beanpod While this is directed at creating Ski Waxes vice Surfboard waxes, you will definitely find this article from Koster Keunen helpful; https://www.kosterkeunen.com/ski-wax-creating-a-stick-for-glide/

markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.