Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Formulating ‘Intimate Care’ Products

• Formulating ‘Intimate Care’ Products

Posted by tecnico3vinia on April 5, 2022 at 6:06 pm

Hi there!

I’d like to know if anyone has any specific orientation/suggestion on the development of intimate care/sexual wellness products (e.g. intimate washes, lubes, arousals oils and gels, massage oils and gels, moisturizers for the genital area, etc). Like, is there any ingredient that is better to watch out for?

I’m already doing my research, looking up to scientific papers about the genital area and studying products available on the market, but it would be great to hear from your experience on the topic if there’s anything that you think that would be useful to share!

Kind regards. 

tecnico3vinia replied 1 year, 11 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • microformulation

April 5, 2022 at 10:03 pm

Be sure you read up about the Regulatory aspects since many lubricants require 501(k) clearance as a Class II Medical device in the US. I wouldn’t suggest “assuming it is compliant without doing your due diligence. (Again, I am citing US Regulatory issues).

• tecnico3vinia

April 6, 2022 at 12:44 pm

Be sure you read up about the Regulatory aspects since many lubricants require 501(k) clearance as a Class II Medical device in the US. I wouldn’t suggest “assuming it is compliant without doing your due diligence. (Again, I am citing US Regulatory issues).

Thank you! I’ll definitely read up on the Regulatory aspects here in the country that I live in.

• microformulation

April 6, 2022 at 2:48 pm

@tecnico3vinia Good idea. It is difficult to track Regs across the World and they do vary. It may be a non-issue.

• stanley

April 7, 2022 at 8:48 pm

you want to be careful of the pH especially if it is for a biological female.  (HaHa)   :hushed:  

Stuff like massage oil you really don’t want on female parts.  You really shouldn’t have glycerin on female parts because it can cause yeast infections. :s  

• tecnico3vinia

April 8, 2022 at 11:18 am

Stanley said:

you want to be careful of the pH especially if it is for a biological female.  (HaHa)   :hushed:  

Stuff like massage oil you really don’t want on female parts.  You really shouldn’t have glycerin on female parts because it can cause yeast infections. :s  

Thank you for the heads up, Stanley. 

About the glycerin, that is really interesting! I’ll do more research on the topic to understand it better. 

• microformulation

April 8, 2022 at 3:04 pm
    You may want to research the likelihood of glycerin causing yeast infections. That has been disproven by many outlets. You have to look at the breakdown that would be required to make glycerin a food source. While yes, putting sugar on your vagina can cause a yeast infection,
    putting glycerin there does not, because, again, glycerin is not a
    sugar.

• Mayday

April 10, 2022 at 5:03 am

I can’t make specific recommendations, but if you’re formulating anything in contact with genitals, you should be aware that there are additional areas of concern that I’ve come across in my own reading.

Osmolarity. pH. Preservative systems hostile to microflora. Calcium chelation and danger to urothelium. Impact of ingredients on microflora, such as oils and sugars. Permeability of mucous membranes to some molecules.

Re: glycerin. I suspect it’s mostly due to popular low-cost extremely hyperosmolar lubes based around glycerin and propylene glycol.

• tecnico3vinia

April 11, 2022 at 8:40 pm

Mayday said:

I can’t make specific recommendations, but if you’re formulating anything in contact with genitals, you should be aware that there are additional areas of concern that I’ve come across in my own reading.

Osmolarity. pH. Preservative systems hostile to microflora. Calcium chelation and danger to urothelium. Impact of ingredients on microflora, such as oils and sugars. Permeability of mucous membranes to some molecules.

Re: glycerin. I suspect it’s mostly due to popular low-cost extremely hyperosmolar lubes based around glycerin and propylene glycol.

Thank you! I’ll do my research on the topics that you pointed out.