help the calendula extract is separating

There's a simple oil precleanse formula I am trying to recreate and all that's in it are the following: 
Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, squalane, calendula extract and vit e. 

The calendula is separating from my formula but not in the product I buy from the company. too much calendula?

CCT

74.50%

Squalane

20.00%

Calendula

5.00%

tocopherol T50

0.50%

Comments

• GraillotionGraillotion Member
    edited April 5
    Does the formula you are trying to copy...have squalane?

Calendula...that sounds like a formula within a formula.  Would need to know the components of that 5%.  (That could contain water or glycerin...requiring addition items to hold it together.)

Aloha.
  • ozgirlozgirl Member, PCF student
    What is the base of the Calendula extract? Is it an oil soluble extract? Or has it been extracted into Glycerin, Water or Ethanol?
  • @ozgirl I bought the one off of Lotioncrafter and it says water soluble haha ugh. I can't find an oil soluble. can I easily remedy this with another ingredient or should I search for a different calendula extract that has been extracted into glycerin?
  • @Graillotion
    yes it has cct, squalane, calendula extract and vitamin e.
  • GraillotionGraillotion Member
    edited April 5
    @ozgirl I bought the one off of Lotioncrafter and it says water soluble haha ugh. I can't find an oil soluble. can I easily remedy this with another ingredient or should I search for a different calendula extract that has been extracted into glycerin?
    The one I saw on their site was this INCI: INCI: Glycerin (and) Water (and) Calendula Officinalis Extract

That sure the heck is not gonna work.

Oil and water...don't mix! (Without a little chemistry...hehehe.) :) 

They glycerin is in there as the preservative...somewhere North of 40%.  And water soluble. 

• Here is the ingredients...on that extract...and ratio range.

• ozgirlozgirl Member, PCF student
    @esthetician922 you will need to find an oil soluble calendula extract or change to a different oil soluble extract (or leave it out all together).
  • If just for yourself...you could shake vigorously before each use.  Think salad dressing. :) 
  • haha true @Graillotion

thank you @ozgirl

• AbdullahAbdullah Member
    You can add this extract to water+ preservative. Done
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    The easiest solution is just don’t use calendula extract. It has zero benefit in this formula, even at 5%
  • @Abdullah
    what preservative would you recommend? since this was what I thought initially wouldbe anhydrous and wouldn't need one. 

@Perry
    haha thanks for the reality check 
  • AbdullahAbdullah Member
    Phenoxyethanol+IPBC+EDTA 
  • thank you @Abdullah

• If just for yourself...you could shake vigorously before each use.  Think salad dressing. :) 
     :D