Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General How to store Carbomer

• How to store Carbomer

Posted by paprik on March 14, 2022 at 6:35 pm

Hello guys,

how do you store carbomer powders? Or what would you recommend? 
    Do you have any special airtight packaging or in a zip lock bag? 
    I’m looking for the best option, as I’m tired of losing all my fresh and fluffy Carbomer :D Ta!

paprik replied 2 years ago 9 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Syl

March 14, 2022 at 7:24 pm

@Paprik Good question. I had the same experience, so frustrating! Could silica gel packet help?

• paprik

March 14, 2022 at 7:30 pm

I had two silica gel packets there and it still went bad. 
    But maybe those silica gel packets were old already. I will need to get some new ones and test it out. 
    Thanks tho :) 

• sean9980

March 14, 2022 at 9:11 pm
    Your problem is it’s collecting water from the atmosphere and becoming hard right? Usually I just close my bag up and close it up. One thing you could do is put it in a room where a dehumidifier is running to reduce the humidity in the room
    How big is your bag? Mine is about 25kg
  • jemolian

March 15, 2022 at 12:48 am

I put my thickeners in an air tight container with a large bag of silica gel (I bought a large container of those). 

• ketchito

March 15, 2022 at 12:30 pm

@Paprik Not sure if it’s feasible, bit if you have access to a nitrogen tank, you could flush out air from your bag with nitrogen….unless your bag is too big 😅

• chemicalmatt

March 15, 2022 at 12:33 pm

Store it the same way we ship it: inside a 3-mil bag tightly closed by zip-tie within a sturdy cardboard box taped shut. Store off the floor if possible so dampness won’t seep in.

• Langmuir

March 15, 2022 at 3:03 pm

Desiccant chamber might be overkill, but if you store it properly with a bit of drierite it should keep it fluffy as long as the drierite stays blue!
    https://www.grainger.com/category/lab-supplies/lab-equipment/lab-desiccators?brandName=SP+SCIENCEWARE&filters=brandName

• paprik

March 15, 2022 at 6:03 pm

Thank you guys!! Really appreciated the feedback and tips. 

I have ordered new silica gel packets (with indication - how fancy aye?) and will chuck a few of those together with Carbomer into smaller zip lock baggies. 

• oldperry

March 15, 2022 at 6:46 pm

We always stored it in a one gallon glass jar.

• graillotion

March 15, 2022 at 8:47 pm

I may live in the world’s most humid climate.  My solution…. buy SMALL AMOUNTS…and use the desiccant paks.

Aloha

• paprik

March 16, 2022 at 12:20 am

@Perry & @Graillotion, thank you guys. :)