Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Cupuacu Butter Scent is too strong to cover up

• Cupuacu Butter Scent is too strong to cover up

Posted by ProfessorHerb on March 1, 2022 at 8:51 am

Does anyone have any suggestions for adding scent to a cupuacu hair butter? I use only 9% in my formula but it still smells like cupuacu after adding strong essential oils. How do I either work with the scent or cover it entirely?

ProfessorHerb replied 2 years ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Syl

March 1, 2022 at 4:47 pm
  • Syl

March 1, 2022 at 4:53 pm

I usually use refined and deodorized cocoa butter because of the strong scent.
    Not sure if the refine version of the cupuacu butter smells less, contact your suppliers.

• graillotion

March 2, 2022 at 2:15 am

still smells like cupuacu after adding strong essential oils. How do I either work with the scent or cover it entirely?

Sounds like you’re working with the bottom of the barrel….with ingredient suppliers.  As mentioned above…get refined stuff.  The stuff with the smoke scent…and dirt grime from the processing camps in the Amazon is for mommy bloggers.  I have gotten some material from FSS that was nice….but the REALLY REALLY nice stuff….of course comes from ICSC, Denmark.  Completely without odor.

• ProfessorHerb

March 10, 2022 at 3:33 am

I love the cocoa scent for some products, so I wanted to cover the scent rather than use refined. I’m usually good at formulating scents but for the cocoa scent of cupuacu butter, would need some help. Besides cocoa absolute, and vanilla since it compiments it rather than covering it.