Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Homogenization

• Homogenization

Posted by Iwana on February 23, 2022 at 5:07 pm

Hi Guys,

I was wondering what were your thoughts on this.

I formulated this cream and the first time I did not homogenize it at all just normal mixing it passed stability as well.

After that I realized that homogenization will help my cream feel better. So I homogenized it as it was cooling it down at about 60C approx. for about 3 to 5 mins. This too passed stability.

Then I wanted to see if it would homogenize after addition of all the ingredients after it was at room temperature it still felt nice but it turned my cream watery like it moved when I was moving the container of the cream around ( something like a very thick mango juice ).

Finally I again tried to homogenize it when I added all the oil phase at around 75 to 85C for about 3 to 5 mins again. But this time when I put it on stability it failed after one week . The Oil Phase came up to the edges of the container.

All these had the exact same ingredients only change was in the time of homogenization.
    I was wondering if there is any right time to homogenize the cream.

Any thoughts on homogenization.

sploshward replied 8 months, 3 weeks ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • crisbaysauli

February 24, 2022 at 5:11 am

Hi @Iwana. A product is only as good as the ingredients used in it, AND the process by which it is made. From my experience, yes there is a right time and duration to homogenize an emulsion. Too much homogenization may destroy the structure of a cream, as you can see from your trials. Better stick with the procedure that passed your stability test. After all, knowing the “right” time is all but trial and error until you get what works for you. Goodluck!

• chemicalmatt

February 24, 2022 at 3:48 pm

Invert emulsions will destabilize if you over-homogenize them. You may have homogenized above the inversion temperature - turned out OK, then tried same only below inversion - not so good. 

• sploshward

July 10, 2023 at 11:55 pm

@basket random A product is only as good as the components it contains AND the manufacturing process. According to my personal experience, there is a proper period of time for homogenizing an emulsion.