Production powder milling/processing

BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
For anyone who was wondering how makeup/color products are milled in production.(You have to look at all the pictures, not just the main one)

This is a Fitz mill. Notice the fixed hammers. 90% of the milling occurs when the hammers whirling at high speed impact the powder, the other 10% is from the shear as the powder is forced through the screen :

This is a Comill, which takes the opposite strategy - 75-80% of the milling is from the shear as the powder is forced through the conical screen, the rest occurs when the rotor impacts (and mixes) the powder.
Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
Tagged:

Comments

• BelassiBelassi Member, PCF student
    I'm familiar with the ball mill, myself, in which masses of steel balls tumble. 5 metres in diameter, 6 metres long, and making a sound that's hellish. The cement industry!
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    I'm not finished yet...
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."