Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Does method of adding and time of adding fragrance in surfactant has any effect on foam & cleaning?

• Does method of adding and time of adding fragrance in surfactant has any effect on foam & cleaning?

Posted by abdullah on February 7, 2022 at 11:41 am

In a Shampoo with SLES/CAPB or SLES/CAPB/APG, is there any difference in final product foam and cleaning power or cleaning type

- if we add all surfactants in water, then and add fragrance oil at the end
    - if we mix fragrance oil with CAPB or SLES and then mix in water?
    abdullah replied 2 years ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • gordof

February 9, 2022 at 2:33 pm

I would say there is no influence on foaming and cleaning properties but It can lead to instability of the perfume in your Shampoo if you add at last and not pre solubilize it in the Tensieds from my experience.

• abdullah

February 10, 2022 at 2:06 am

@Gordof Can you explain what is tensieds?

Isn’t surfactants in shampoo enough to solubilize 0.3% fragrance? 

• gordof

February 28, 2022 at 3:05 pm

hi sorry did not see that you replayed. 

Tensieds are Surfactants just another name used in Switzerland/ Germany for it. 

so I just wanted to say you need to Pre solubilize the Perfume in your Surfactants.

Sometimes there can be separation if you add it afterward or your product will sometimes not get clear. 

• abdullah

February 28, 2022 at 5:01 pm

Gordof said:

hi sorry did not see that you replayed. 

Tensieds are Surfactants just another name used in Switzerland/ Germany for it. 

so I just wanted to say you need to Pre solubilize the Perfume in your Surfactants.

Sometimes there can be separation if you add it afterward or your product will sometimes not get clear. 

thanks
    I am using SLES and CAPB. So i should mix fragrance with CAPB and then add it to shampoo as my SLES is 70%?