Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Advanced Questions Incompatibility in the shampoo

Tagged: ,

• Incompatibility in the shampoo

Posted by filiz on February 7, 2022 at 9:03 am

Hello,

I’m working on a shampoo formulation but I have some blurry problem in the formulation…

here is the some info about I’ve used chemicals
    Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate 13%
    Disodium Lureth Sulfosuccinate 6%
    Decyl Glucoside 6%
    Betaine 6%
    (Amodimethicone, C11-15 Pareth-7, Trideceth-3)    2%

my supplier said it was due to incompatibility of sulfosuccinate and pareth mixture. What do you think about that ? when ı change this mixture ı cannot efficiency ı want…

thanks to your helping…

filiz replied 2 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • abdullah

February 7, 2022 at 11:27 am

What do you mean by blurry problem? 

If you mean the product is not transparent, that is because of Amodimethicone.

• filiz

February 7, 2022 at 12:32 pm

which component is amodimethicone incompatible with ? I removed the amodimethicone mixture and added the following mixture instead:
    Propoxytetramethyl Piperdinyl Dimethicone (and) Cetrimonium Chloride (and) Trideceth-6 (and) C11-C15 Pareth-7
    and I removed the sulfosuccinate. but I couldn’t get the desired effect this way. Is there a way to make it transparent like the first version ı given ? @Abdullah

• abdullah

February 7, 2022 at 1:09 pm

It is not because of incompatibility. It is because they are are this way. 

If you want transparent product, ask the supplier for a transparent silicone emulsion.

• ketchito

February 7, 2022 at 1:18 pm

@filiz Is Amodimethicone (and) C11-15 Pareth-7 (and) Trideceth-3 the ingredient named Microsil? If that’s the case, it’s a microemulsion so it should give a clear product.

What do you use to thicken the product? Is that the full formula (maybe you’re also adding some fragrance? Also, in some systems, increasing or decreasing pH can improve clarity. What’s the pH of your system?

• filiz

February 7, 2022 at 1:39 pm

I used PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate as a thickener in this formulation. exact pH=5,5-6.0 @ketchito

• filiz

February 8, 2022 at 6:54 am

+++ and why does Amodimethicone causes unclarity but Dimethicone does not ? @ketchito Thank you  :)