Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Resources How can different pure D5’s have different flash points?

• How can different pure D5’s have different flash points?

Posted by graillotion on February 5, 2022 at 12:07 am

I live in Hawaii…so flashpoint is a critical concern for me receiving ingredients.  I know that some vendors are blending to get a higher flash point.

I have been able to purchase what I am being told is pure Cyclopentasiloxane (D5), and able to ship USPS (legally).  I think in the past…I was getting it from a vendor (repacker) that simply did not heed the rules.  But as they sold out to a company, I refuse to do business with, I had to scramble for a new vendor.  The new vendor says their product is USPS shippable, and pure D5…can this be right?

So, I guess what I am asking….can D5 be made (pure)…with considerable variation in flash point?  

Flashpoint is being advertised as 170F or 76.66C.

I guess the question that begs to be asked…will performance (viscosity) be altered…as the flashpoint increases?

Syl replied 2 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Syl

February 5, 2022 at 12:29 am

In my experience, some vendors are not following shipping rules. When I buy lactic acid or sodium hydroxide in large quantities, some vendor will charge a hazmat fee, some do not.  

• graillotion

February 5, 2022 at 1:56 am

Syl said:

In my experience, some vendors are not following shipping rules. When I buy lactic acid or sodium hydroxide in large quantities, some vendor will charge a hazmat fee, some do not.  

The new vendor went WAY out of their way to explain that this version of D5 could be shipped USPS (and it was selected for this reason) …and posted the flash point on the front page.  So I think in this case…. they are not in any type of violation…(which I would not care about anyway….I just can’t live without my D5…hehehe.).  I am just trying to figure out…how different D5’s…can have different flash points….my mind is not yet wrapping around the concept.

• Syl

February 5, 2022 at 5:13 pm

In this situation, I agree with you. If this D5 does not behave like a normal D5, it is suspect. Could they have added something in the mixture to increase the flash point? The only way to know is to sent it to the lab….
    The D5 description below is very specific. 
     https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Decamethylcyclopentasiloxane