Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Using milder preservatives with high % of plant extracts

• Using milder preservatives with high % of plant extracts

Posted by GeorgeBenson on January 25, 2022 at 11:52 am

I usually use either Optiphen Plus or Euxyl 9010 at 1%, along with sodium phytate, for all of my formulas and I find them to be fantastic preservatives. I’ve never had any issue using these (that i know of any way).

I am now making a shampoo and conditioner and at the request of some friends and family I want to experiment with some “more natural” preservatives. I have Euxyl K903 and NeoDefend on hand right now so it will probably be one of these. I have seen products at major retailers that only use sodium benzoate as their preservative so I know these milder preservatives can work in theory, at least in certain formulas.

My only concern is that I use a high % of plant extracts that I make myself, basically just by boiling dried herbs in water and straining them out. In the shampoo and conditioner this herbal water is currently at about 10%. I know you’ll probably say that the herbal water isn’t actually doing anything and maybe you’re right, but I like having it in there.

So my question is can I still get away with using something like NeoDefend or K903 while using so much of these plant extracts? Would adding potassium sorbate to the herbal water prior to putting it into the formula help at all? Or is there no real way to know for sure without getting it tested at a lab?

Thanks for any input.

PhilGeis replied 2 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • PhilGeis

January 25, 2022 at 12:00 pm

What will be product(s) pH?
    K903 has some efficacy - tho’  supplier’s “extremely effective is BS.
    forget Neodefend.
    Don’t count on Benozate alone - don’t know what theory justifies but that’s prob. irresponsible.
    If not freshly prepared - 6-12 hours - or frozen and thawed, the extracts are a big micro risk and need preservation - K sorbate needs pH adjustment and is pretty weak.

• GeorgeBenson

January 25, 2022 at 5:10 pm

@PhilGeis Currently the shampoo is at 5.5 and the conditioner 4.5, but I’m flexible with that so I can bring it to whatever is ideal for optimal preservation.

I always use the extracts right after making them, or freeze them for later use.
  • PhilGeis

January 26, 2022 at 12:09 pm

Should be OK - think finished product levels =/>5000 ppm benzyl alcohol and =/>2000 ppm each acid in solution.
    PET - look for 7 day kill.