Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Does dermosoft 1388 need a solubilizer in a water-based product?

• Does dermosoft 1388 need a solubilizer in a water-based product?

Posted by grapefruit22 on January 20, 2022 at 10:39 am

Hi, 
    I’m looking for a preservative system for water-based product. I plan to use:
    - Sodium Levulinate & Sodium Anisate
    - 5% Propanediol
    - Phytic Acid
    Dehydroacetic Acid
    Package: glass bottle with a dropper
    pH: 5,3-5,5

Recently we have checked Sodium Levulinate (and) Sodium Anisate powder blend, and there was an issue with solubility: after lowering pH to 5,5 dilution was not clear, it was white with precipitation.
    That’s why I’m wondering about dermosoft 1388. When dissolved in water at a concentration of 4%, dilution is clear and there is no problem with lowering the pH to 5.5. But according to manufacturer in water-based product only 2,5% dermosoft 1388 can be used and with a solubilizer. On the other hand, I saw water-based products, with Sodium Levulinate with Sodium Anisate as the only preservative.
    Does anyone have experience with using dermosoft 1388 without solubilizer in water-based product?  At what concentration?

grapefruit22 replied 2 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • markbroussard

January 20, 2022 at 3:14 pm

@grapefruit22

Dermosoft 1388 is Glycerin, Water, Sodium Anisate, Sodium Levulinate and you generally use it at 3% or so.  No solubility issues.

If you have access to Sodium Levulinate (and) Sodium Anisate powder blend, I would check on the compositional analysis of Dermosoft 1388 and use the same amount in a 50/50 blend of Glyerin and Water.  You may need to use heat to get it into solution.

• suswang8

January 22, 2022 at 6:26 pm

A solubolizer is not required, but can I ask why you’re trying to use it as a concentration of 4pct?

• grapefruit22

January 24, 2022 at 5:17 pm

suswang8 said:

A solubolizer is not required, but can I ask why you’re trying to use it as a concentration of 4pct?

Manufacturer recommends 3-4%, do you think it’s too much?