Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Bogus (incorrect) ingredient list?

• Bogus (incorrect) ingredient list?

Posted by Margaret on January 6, 2022 at 5:25 pm

I mean, LOOK at this LOI down below. With cannabis ingredients being 3rd & 4th, that is an an amazingly HUGE about of cannabis. This would be  HUGELY $$$$ if this LOI is correct (which I doubt is correct).

I saw it on a website for $46 (Canadian) for 60mls, which is really cheap IF the ingredient list is correct, and there’s so much cannabis in it. 

What are you thoughts?

NO, I have not bought it, and I’m not interested in it. I am just perusing ingredients of stuff stocked at local cannabis retailers in my area, for laughs.

Here’s the link to this product:
    https://aliviatopicals.com/products/active-therapy/

IngredientsBarbadensis Aloe (Aloe) Leaf Juice, Water, Cannabis THC, Cannabis CBD, Hemp Seed Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Almond Oil, Sunflower Oil,  Caprylic Triglycerides, Emulsifying Wax NF, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Shea Butter, Arnica montana (Arnica) Oil Infusion, Cymbopogon flexuosus (Lemongrass), Eucalyptus globulus (Eucalyptus) Essential Oil, Mentha piperita (Peppermint) Essential Oil, Eugenia caryophyllata (Clove) Essential Oil, Chamomilla recutita (Chamomile) Flower Extract, Tocopherol, Green Tea Leaf Extract, C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol

oldperry replied 2 years, 2 months ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • oldperry

January 6, 2022 at 5:27 pm

The fact that Aloe is ahead of water in the listing demonstrates they do not understand labeling regulations. So, the entire list is suspect and unreliable.

• Margaret

January 6, 2022 at 5:30 pm

One more thing, the jar states there’s 400 mg. of THC and 200 mg. of CBD, so that means the other ingredients in their list is 200 mgs or LESS, EACH, right?  Health Canada can’t keep up with the stuff being sold…

• Cafe33

January 6, 2022 at 6:03 pm

Well, anything under 1% in the formula can be placed in any order. There are a few suspect things beyond the aloe vera juice being placed first. Some companies I noticed believe they can dilute a juice or extract with water and still place it as the first ingredient.

The INCI for emulsifying wax is Cetearyl Alcohol and Polysorbate 60. You would have to believe that anything after water would be under 1%. It does have C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer so it is possible but it would be quite a thin cream, more like a gel. I also wonder which ingredient is neutralizing the polymer? 

• pharma

January 6, 2022 at 7:44 pm

Cafe33 said:

I also wonder which ingredient is neutralizing the polymer? 

Isn’t sodium methylhydroxyglycinate fairly alkaline?
    Else, the LOI looks a bit like they love hitting a bong or two before work…
  • Margaret

January 6, 2022 at 10:39 pm

Yes, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate is pH 12. Voila from Lotion Crafter:
    Suttocide A is the 
    Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate

Suttocide A is sold as 50% aqueous solution with a pH of 10-12.  Unlike many preservatives, Suttocide A is stable and active in alkaline conditions up to pH 12. It can also be used in acidic formulations as low as pH 3.5.  Due to its alkalinity, it can be used to neutralize acidic compounds (carbomers and other ingredients requiring neutralization) without any loss of antimicrobial activity.

THEY WERE PROBABLY SMOKING LOTS OF MATERIAL WHILE WORKING ON THEIR INGREDIENT LIST, FOR SURE

• abdullah

January 7, 2022 at 5:02 am

Maybe everything after water is ≤1%. 

I made a sample lotion with 5% petrolatum in oi phase, 1% Polyglyceryl 6 distearate as emulsifier and 0.3% xanthan gum as stabilizer12 months ago and it is stable yet. 

Below 1% you can write the ingredients in whatever order you want.

@Perry is says aloe Leaf Juice. Is it possible that they are using higher than water amount of juice?

Also is it ok of we use 0.5% 100:1extrat of aloe Vera at in such formula, we write aloe Vera juice as first ingredient because it equals to 50% juice? 

• GeorgeBenson

January 8, 2022 at 11:01 am

@perry i am also wondering about your comment on aloe juice. If aloe juice truly
    is the largest percentage ingredient, why couldn’t it be placed first on LOI?

• oldperry

January 8, 2022 at 3:41 pm

@GeorgeBenson - Personally, I think it is disingenuous of a company to list Aloe Vera Juice as the number one ingredient even if they are genuinely using it as the solvent. This is because it is 0.5% solids which means it is essentially 99%+ water. For example this aloe specification. While that may not technically be against the rules (I checked with someone I know on the INCI committee and they said it was ok to do that), it smacks of trickery to me.

But this is also not what most people who list aloe first are doing. It is my contention that most people are taking powdered aloe which is much less expensive, then diluting water with 0.5% solids and calling it Aloe Vera Juice.  This practice is actually breaking the rules and not allowed by INCI

There is also no way to tell a difference if a company is using actual Aloe Vera Juice (which is about $1 a pound in bulk) or taking powdered aloe & blending it with water at 0.5% (which would cost about 15 cents a pound). 

So, when I see companies doing that, I assume it is done out of ignorance or malice. I’ll add that generally big companies aren’t doing this.

I abhor ingredient label trickery.