Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Where’s the CBD here?

Tagged: 

• Where’s the CBD here?

Posted by Margaret on January 5, 2022 at 9:16 pm

DOWN BELOW: This is sold as a transdermal CBD cream  for $60 (Canadian PLUS taxes) for a 50 gram jar at a REAL drug store :(

WHERE is the CBD in the LOI?  I glued it below. Sure, there’s HEMP oil in there, but that’s not maryjane 😜, and SHE is responsible for the CBD & THC (or so I’ve heard) in measurable quantities, no?

Which ingredient is the EFFECTIVE SKIN PENETRATION ENHANCER here? 

Here’s the marketing for this stuff:

This CBD Transdermal Cream Cannabis Topical from LivRelief is designed with Delivra technology, enabling deep penetration and skin absorption and controlled release of active ingredients directly to the target area. LivRelief’s CBD Cannabis Topical 50g jar contains 250 mg of CBD and less than 10 mg of THC. Transdermal Cannabis topicals are a discreet way to use medical cannabis. They are plant-based and made using natural ingredients.

The product image and label are provided for illustrative purposes only. The potency and concentration of this product may vary by batch.

Aqua/Water/Eau, Glycerin, Sorbitan Olivate, Cannabis sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Cetearyl Olivate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Mangifera indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Glyceryl Linoleate, Ribes nigrum (Black Currant) Seed Oil, Ethoxydiglycol, Lecithin, Cetyl Palmitate, Sorbitan Palmitate, Rutin, Inulin Lauryl Carbamate, Phenoxyethanol, Polyacrylate-13, Backhousia citriodora Leaf Oil, Xanthan Gum, Polyisobutene, Anethole, Eugenia caryophyllus (Clove) Bud Oil, Foeniculum vulgare (Fennel) Oil, Piper nigrum (Pepper) Seed Oil, Salvia officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Polysorbate 20, Mangifera indica (Mango) Fruit Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate.

stanley replied 2 years, 2 months ago 7 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • markbroussard

January 5, 2022 at 9:26 pm

Looks like a CBD scam

• Margaret

January 5, 2022 at 9:42 pm

A scam??? Whhhhaaaaaa? 🤪 So much 💩 on-line, and in stores, sigh.

• pharma

January 6, 2022 at 5:40 am
    You didn’t actually buy that thing, did you? 😮
    There’s glyceryl linoleate in it… at least they can claim to use a penetration enhancer (without proper testing, who knows if it’s the right one for CBD).
    Even if, 250 mg CBD in the full 50 g pot isn’t much and you’d have to re-order every few applications the latest.
  • pattsi

January 6, 2022 at 7:03 am

I didn’t know Dr.Joe’s LivRelief has a CBD line so I googled and it turned out this product has nothing to do with the original company (or has it?).
    With similar name and logo. 
    It was made in BC not Quebec like the products from original company.
    That drug store should not have it on sale.

• Margaret

January 6, 2022 at 3:14 pm

PHARMA: I did NOT BUY this product, and I’m not interested in buying or using it.  I’m just asking about it, because to my eyes, it looks like 💩.  But since I’m ignorant on many things 😃, I wanted to ask those who know more than I do in topics like this. I was initially wondering what was the skin penetration enhancer, and THEN I noticed the LACK of any sort of marijuana ingredient in the LOI.

PATTSI: If you’re talking about Dr. Joe Schwarz, the only thing he sells are books about day-to-day chemistry questions people might have. The drug stores sells all sorts of homeopathic/naturopathic 💩. It’s disgusting.

• Mayday

January 6, 2022 at 9:29 pm
  • stanley

January 6, 2022 at 11:02 pm

“Cannabis sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil”
    Not a so much a scam depending on the point of view….

Some folks will use hemp oil and call it CBD knowing most people (including chemists) may not know the difference between the two materials.  If you are really using CBD it should state the mg’s on label otherwise there is a super strong chance it is hemp oil they are claiming..

• ozgirl

January 6, 2022 at 11:51 pm
    Is it possible that this is labelled as a drug and the “actives” are listed separately and the inactive ingredients are listed as you described?
    Although the disclaimer is concerning.
  • markbroussard

January 7, 2022 at 1:53 am

Hemp Seed Oil and Cannabidiol (CBD) are different ingredients, although CBD is extracted from commercial Hemp.  This product has Hemp Seed Oil on its label, but not Cannabidiol (CBD).  At a minimum, this product is not properly labelled and I suspect it does not contain any CBD at all, only Hemp Seed Oil

• pattsi

January 7, 2022 at 12:51 pm

@Margaret - I meant this Joe.

https://livrelief.com/videos/

They sell across east and west and Quebec. 
    They TMed the word Delivra.

I assumed the product in your original post is the jar with green sticker manufactured by Cannabis farm in British Columbia.

• stanley

January 7, 2022 at 2:43 pm

@MarkBroussard-Thank you!

@ozgirl
    From last time I checked (many moons ago), CBD/Hemp is not being classified as an active.  FDA has been very fuzzy on its treatment of CBD except when it comes to label claims. 

I have noticed over the past several years since the boom of CBD started to happen that brands will claim “CBD” and they are using hemp oil.  The price is always very “cheap” in comparison to a product using extracted/purified CBD with real claims.  If you go to Amazon and see the ridiculous claims of 10K CBD at $30…this doesn’t make sense. they won’t be able to provide a HLPC report to prove the potency.  You will see Hemp oil and coconut oil being the main factors.

This is product has to come from the hemp plant and not the marijuana plant.  The THC count must be lower than 0.03(?) to be acceptable.  We are talking about the USA.  I am not sure about Canada.