Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Paraffin hair oil thickener

Tagged: 

• Paraffin hair oil thickener

Posted by Quimico on January 5, 2022 at 4:02 pm

Helo, i am developing paraffin hair oil and i am trying to make thicker, i am trying to use Carbomer and HEC Please help 

em88 replied 2 years, 1 month ago 7 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Quimico

January 5, 2022 at 4:46 pm

My trial was 0.2% Carbomor

• oldperry

January 5, 2022 at 6:35 pm

You can’t use Carbomer to thicken an oil.

Although, perhaps you have other ingredients in your formula?

• bill_toge

January 5, 2022 at 8:18 pm

try Versagel

• Quimico

January 6, 2022 at 6:25 pm

Perry said:

You can’t use Carbomer to thicken an oil.

Although, perhaps you have other ingredients in your formula?

I am using paraffin oil only Which is mineral oil

Can i use carbomer and TEA only?

Thanks Perry i will known you my results
    My trial was 0.2% Carbomer

• bill_toge

January 8, 2022 at 8:45 pm

carbomer only works in water-based systems - it won’t hydrate in oil

• abdullah

January 9, 2022 at 1:29 am

Use some petroleum

• Quimico

January 10, 2022 at 12:47 pm

Abdullah said:

Use some petroleum

What kind of petroleum??

• gordof

January 10, 2022 at 1:05 pm

to thicken an oil you need either a Polymer which is oil soluble or you need a Wax / Butter that is compatible with your main oil and does not recrystallize visible in it. in your case, i would say you can use Vaseline for example or high viscose paraffin oil depends on the viscosity you wanna go for.

I would recommend using Polyamide-8 as polymers, tradenames for example are OleoCraft™ there are different types out there and you can ask the supplier for advice on which one to use for your product to get the best performance. they need to be usable with your main oil so ask them Realy it can go wrong otherwise. but you can then get from low to high viscose oils “gel”

• Quimico

January 10, 2022 at 1:10 pm

Gordof said:

to thicken an oil you need either a Polymer which is oil soluble or you need a Wax / Butter that is compatible with your main oil and does not recrystallize visible in it. in your case, i would say you can use Vaseline for example or high viscose paraffin oil depends on the viscosity you wanna go for.

I would recommend using Polyamide-8 as polymers, tradenames for example are OleoCraft™ there are different types out there and you can ask the supplier for advice on which one to use for your product to get the best performance. they need to be usable with your main oil so ask them Realy it can go wrong otherwise. but you can then get from low to high viscose oils “gel”

Thanks Gordof, What type of wax, other polymer thickeners are not available in my country.

• Quimico

January 10, 2022 at 1:12 pm

Quimico said:

Gordof said:

Thanks Gordof, What type of wax, other polymer thickeners are not available in my country.

I have microwax & paraffin wax

• abdullah

January 12, 2022 at 12:24 pm

Quimico said:

Abdullah said:

Use some petroleum

What kind of petroleum??

I mean petrolatum. Spelling error.

• amitvedakar

January 16, 2022 at 4:48 am

I Received in mail. Might help

• Quimico

January 26, 2022 at 3:24 pm

Thanks all i find KRATON G EP Polymer 
    (Ethylene/propylene based polymers)
    Which solved my problem of thickening paraffin oil.

• em88

January 30, 2022 at 7:32 am

I’d really suggest you to read much more before preparing any product. At least read about basic knowledge, before hurting yourself or someone else.