Best online resource describing individual preservatives and efficacy?

I seem to remember stumbling upon a Web site in which several major (natural-ish) preservatives (e.g., phenoxyethanol, potassium sorbate, etc.) were listed, along with an indicator of how effective each was against bacteria (gram +/-), fungus, and yeast.  Does anyone know where this might be housed?  Thank you.

Comments

• I just came across this link today, not sure of the source. Preservatives for Cosmetics: Chemistries & Selection Tips (specialchem.com)
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    edited December 2021
    This is a useful tool. It will of course recommend a Lonza product, but you should be able to find similar products in just about everyone's preservative lines. https://microbialmanagement.arxada.com/Apps/FormulaProtect

markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • ozgirlozgirl Member, PCF student
  • @PhilGeis You shared just an invaluable book, I would say literally a text book. I think anyone in the world of cosmetic formulating should read it and learn from cover to cover. 
  • PhilGeisPhilGeis Member, Professional formulator
    There is a 3rd ed (2020) that includes more info - natural and multifunctional preservatives/preservation, detailed manufacturing etc. but it's kinda pricey.

https://www.amazon.com/Cosmetic-Microbiology-Practical-Philip-Geis/dp/1138732915/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Geis+cosmetic+microbiology&qid=1639503581&sr=8-2
  • @PhilGeis Yes, it is but this book can not be inexpensive. I have read 3d edition too
  • @vitalys do you have the PDF of 3d edition? 
  • No, I have got a book
  • @vitalys ok 
    Can you take picture that what that book has said about these preservatives

Formalin
    Hydroxyacetophenone
    Glyceryl Caprylate

• @Abdullah Sorry, I don't think it is ethically correct. You may ask an editor of this book, @PhilGeis about it directly. The book is also available to purchase or order. 
    Right - not legally either.
  • AbdullahAbdullah Member
    edited December 2021
    vitalys said:
    @Abdullah Sorry, I don't think it is ethically correct. You may ask an editor of this book, @PhilGeis about it directly. The book is also available to purchase or order. 
    WOW 
    That is very fortunate that the author(Philip A. Geis) is PhilGeis. I would have ask him directly if I knew that. 

The problem is i am in Afghanistan and can't purchase online because of recent problems with banks in our country for now. 

@PhilGeis any comments on hydroxyacetophenone and glyceryl Caprylate.

I like hydroxyacetophenone for for leave on Products because of the claims it has and glyceryl Caprylate in shampoo because i am using decyl Glucoside, phenoxyethanol and Amodimethicone and without glyceryl Caprylate it is very hard to get enough viscosity. But am not sure how helpful they would be for preservation
    I've never used hydroxyacetophenone and not aware of any significant data that supports it as preservative. 
    Glyceryl caprylate.  Too susceptible to microbial esterases - and pseudomonads have plenty. 
    So don't think either will help much for preservation. 

I know you asked about formnaldehyde releasers - can you use those?
  • PhilGeis said:
    I've never used hydroxyacetophenone and not aware of any significant data that supports it as preservative. 
    Glyceryl caprylate.  Too susceptible to microbial esterases - and pseudomonads have plenty. 
    So don't think either will help much for preservation. 

I know you asked about formnaldehyde releasers - can you use those?
    Yes I can
    I sure would.  Add EDTA and maybe benzoic acid.  If no stability issues - I think you'd do well.
    Are you making it yourself?
  • PhilGeis said:
    Thank you @PhilGeis for sharing your book. This is incredibly nice of you. The table 7.3 is a treasure! 
  • PhilGeis said:
    I sure would.  Add EDTA and maybe benzoic acid.  If no stability issues - I think you'd do well.
    Are you making it yourself?
    Thanks 
    Yes i make the products myself. 

As i am importing almost all the ingredients i use from another countries, i have to purchase in large quantities otherwise the shipping cost would be too much. 

Currently i have some preservatives that i have to use, when they are finished i have plan to use DMDM hydantoin both is shampoo and lotions. 
  • Hi, all.
    I think I had actually been thinking of this one:
    https://www.olionatura.de/rohstofftabellen/konservierertabelle.php

but there are a few ones "missing," such as phenethyl alcohol.  Either way, still a great, concise resource for those who are natural-focused.
    suswang8 said:
    Hi, all.
    I think I had actually been thinking of this one:
    https://www.olionatura.de/rohstofftabellen/konservierertabelle.php

but there are a few ones "missing," such as phenethyl alcohol.  Either way, still a great, concise resource for those who are natural-focused.
    Most are "natural": only by the Ecocert/COSMOS "credentialing".  Be cautious of all incl penethyl alcohol.  It can partition into packaging material.
  • Is the penetration into packaging your main concern, or you have others (including for phenethyl alcohol)?
    edited December 2021
    Phenethyl (Rose ether) has a rose odor that may clash with perfume.  Not on directives and  not that effective - certainly < phenoxy.   
    None are that great - esp. in a shampoo/conditioner context - and very few on directives (odd for a German publication).  You'll find little safety data for many. 

Ferment Leucidal is vey weak abnd reportedly adulterated ala GSE https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf5063588.

Ethanol demands 20%. Lesser levels are not 'sehr gut" any more than the rest of those with this silliness.

One combination I know is effective benzyl alcohol/benzoate is labeled limited (small)

Magnolia extract like "Parfum" is another uncharacterized/ uncontrolled magic potion.

Glyeryl caprylate is pseudomonas ester food.

Combined organic acids are just that - organic acids - none is sehr gut.

• PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    Leucidal always cracks me up.