Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Resources powdered surfactants

• powdered surfactants

Posted by K4r1n4 on December 10, 2021 at 1:34 pm

Hi everyone!

Does anyone have contacts with suppliers who provide surfactants in powder? I am after mild, sulfate-free surfactants. 

Would appreciate any kind of info. Thanks in advance!

K

abdullah replied 2 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • gordof

December 10, 2021 at 2:22 pm

hi there 

Most suppliers will deliver their surfactants as Powders as well as in liquid form. (as long as the chemical form is Powder and not liquid:)) 

you just need to ask them for that. mostly it’s because Powder surfactants are very Agresssiv especially if you inhale them. 

Home | http://Www.stepan.com for example have a variety of surfactants that are sulfate-free I would guess you can get most of them in powder form

most of the other suppliers have them as well so if you already know which one you want to use just ask them. 

• K4r1n4

December 13, 2021 at 8:47 am

Thanks @Gordof for the answer! Do you know if alkyl polyglucosides can be made powdered? As you mentioned surfactants can be only in powder if the chemical form is in powder and not liquid?

• gordof

December 15, 2021 at 7:43 am

actually, I am not sure if there is a polymerization grade that is powder form for APG. Normally they are liquids with a higher viscosity. 

The best way to target this issue (in my opinion) is to ask your suppliers for the Tensides you they will give you all information about what is possible and what is not. 
  • markbroussard

December 15, 2021 at 11:10 am

@K4r1n4:

Which surfactants specifically are you seeking to source and in what quantities?  I have never seen APG’s available in powder format.

• abdullah

December 15, 2021 at 12:00 pm

Have you used powder surfactant before? You may not like the powder forms.

I have used SLS powder and it needed too much acid to adjust pH. 

Also have used AOS powder and couldn’t dissolve it properly so i decided not to go for powders.

• K4r1n4

December 16, 2021 at 11:37 am

@K4r1n4:

Which surfactants specifically are you seeking to source and in what quantities?  I have never seen APG’s available in powder format.

I have already tested some powdered amino acid based surfactants (sodium cocoyl isoethionate, sodium cocoyl glycinate, sodium cocoyl glutamate) and sodium coco sulfate. Of these, sodium cocoyl glutamate worked the best, so now I am just looking for a secondary surfactant to complement. I have also seen sodium olivate and sodium cocoate in recipes in powder, but I cannot seem to find any suppliers online. 

• K4r1n4

December 16, 2021 at 11:45 am

Abdullah said:

Have you used powder surfactant before? You may not like the powder forms.

I have used SLS powder and it needed too much acid to adjust pH. 

Also have used AOS powder and couldn’t dissolve it properly so i decided not to go for powders.

how much is too much acid? 

• abdullah

December 17, 2021 at 6:27 am

You can use even 10% citric acid if you want. My point was with powder SLS will need 4% citric acid to adjust the pH to ~5 while with liquid 0.2% is enough.