Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Off Topic Leucidal and major brands………..

• Leucidal and major brands………..

Posted by graillotion on December 5, 2021 at 8:39 pm

Easy tiger….I have NO interest in this product. :)  I like to try and give back a little on some of the mommy blogger forums….and they love that crap.  

So yes…I am aware it is likely an adulterated product that took the path of Grapefruit seed extract….but my question is… Do ANY respected brands use it as a ‘front-man’, and sneak in a legitimate preservative program, behind the scenes?  Or, are all self respecting brands steering clear of this product?  I have seen some medium size brands promote some of these ‘natural’ preservatives up front…but behind the scenes….they fortify it.

I guess before I pose them the question…. ‘Why are you so eager to use a preservative that no major brand uses?’…. I don’t want to have them toss a bunch of mid majors at me that are using it as a marketing ploy.

Aloha from snowy Hawaii!

PhilGeis replied 2 years, 3 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Syl

December 5, 2021 at 10:17 pm

I know of one company; Oneka they are located in Canada.
    https://www.onekaelements.com/collections/body-lotion/products/angelica-lavender-body-lotion?variant=33677411090568 They supply refill stores in California where I live with large containers with pumps of lotions, shampoo, conditioners.. These refill stores cater to the environmentally conscious customer who want to reduce plastic usage and chemicals. From what I observed some bring empty clean containers, other request that the store top off their current almost empty containers of lotion, shampoo, hand wash.. Yuck   Most people take cosmetic preservation for granted, on the other hand the media constantly vilifies chemicals. You would be surprised at how many intelligent people have contacted me to request a shampoo without chemicals…and have left when I told them that everything contains chemicals….
    Leucidal is marketed as an innovative product, and people want to believe that you can achieve a natural preservation.

• oldperry

December 5, 2021 at 10:29 pm

This is a pretty big brand using it.  https://www.globalcosmeticsnews.com/peter-thomas-roth-pumpkin-enzyme-mask/

And L’Oreal 

And Garnier

Of course, the real preservation comes from Phenoxyethanol and the organic acids in there but they include leucidal.

• PhilGeis

December 5, 2021 at 10:34 pm

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf5063588
    Reports quats ala GSE in Leucidal.  

• abdullah

December 6, 2021 at 3:01 am

Syl said:

I know of one company; Oneka they are located in Canada.
    https://www.onekaelements.com/collections/body-lotion/products/angelica-lavender-body-lotion?variant=33677411090568
     They supply refill stores in California where I live with large containers with pumps of lotions, shampoo, conditioners.. These refill stores cater to the environmentally conscious customer who want to reduce plastic usage and chemicals. From what I observed some bring empty clean containers, other request that the store top off their current almost empty containers of lotion, shampoo, hand wash.. Yuck   Most people take cosmetic preservation for granted, on the other hand the media constantly vilifies chemicals. You would be surprised at how many intelligent people have contacted me to request a shampoo without chemicals…and have left when I told them that everything contains chemicals….
    Leucidal is marketed as an innovative product, and people want to believe that you can achieve a natural preservation.

I cant open the link you share again.

Has anyone else faced this problem?

• Sincityfire

December 6, 2021 at 4:23 am

Abdullah said:
    Has anyone else faced this problem?

You will need to copy and paste the website address because the hyperlink doesn’t work.

• Syl

December 6, 2021 at 6:43 am

https://www.onekaelements.com/collections/body-lotion/products/angelica-lavender-body-lotion?variant=33677411090568

Ingredients:  Purified water, Organic blend of Calendula officinalis (Calendula), Arctium lappa (Burdock root), Salvia officinalis (Sage), Urtica dioica (Nettle leaves), Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary), Taraxacum officinale (Dandelion), Equisetum arvense (Horsetail), Angelica archangelica (Angelica), Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal), Vitis vinifera (Grapeseed oil), Persea gratissima (Avocado Oil), Caprylic/Capric triglyceride, Emulsifying wax NF, Glyceryl Stearate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba Oil), Butyrospermum parkii (Shea butter), Aloe barbadensis (Aloe vera leaf juice), Stearic acid, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Coco-caprylate, Glycerin, Sorbitol, Lactobacillus ferment, Methylcellulose, Allantoin, Essential oil of Lavandula angustifolia (Lavender) 

Made in Canada

You cant take this brand too seriously, they also make conditioners without quats: I suspect that they are not listing the conditioning ingredient. I tried this conditioner, and it performs just like a normal conditioner.

https://www.onekaelements.com/collections/hair-care/products/angelica-lavender-conditioner?variant=32656150626440

Ingredients: Purified water, Organic blend of Calendula officinalis (Calendula), Arctium lappa (Burdock root), Salvia officinalis (Sage), Urtica dioica (Nettle leaves), Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary), Taraxacum officinale (Dandelion), Equisetum arvense (Horsetail), Angelica archangelica (Angelica), Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba Oil), Hemp seed oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Oryza sativa (Rice Protein), Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Cetyl alcohol (plant-derived), Polyglyceryl-2 di polyhydroxy stearate, Essential oil of Lavandula angustifolia (Lavender), Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin

Made in Canada

• PhilGeis

December 6, 2021 at 8:51 pm

Very poor preservation