Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Foaming Oil

• Foaming Oil

Posted by yonyrl on November 29, 2021 at 2:24 pm

Good morning.
    My name is Yony, well at least that is how everybody knows me :). I work as formulator for a contract manufacturer and private label in South Florida.
    We have some hair oil blends formulas, packaged in 8oz bottles with flip top caps. I was thinking about adjusting the formula to change the delivery system to an oil blend dispensed as a foam, like the liquid hand soap packaged in foam pump bottles. Yeah yeah, I know, maybe a crazy idea to make oils lather, but, challenge is in the air.
    An example of the hair oil blend formula:
    Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil                                                                                98.78%
    Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil                                                   0.03%
    Fragance                                                                                                          0.30%
    BHT                                                                                                                  0.05%
    D & C Red # 17 (0.1% in Isopropyl Myristate)                                                    0.06%
    D & C Green # 6 (0.1% in Isopropyl Myristate)                                                   0.07%
    Isopropyl Myristate                                                                                           0.68%
    Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil (and) Aloe Barbadensis Leaf             0.01%
    Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil (and) Rosa Canina Flower Extract     0.01%
    Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil (and) Lamium Album Extract   0.01%  All ideas all welcome and I would like to thank you in advanced for your help and support.                                       

yonyrl replied 2 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Rimbaud16

December 9, 2021 at 2:35 pm

Recently I have made a foaming bath oil with Tego Sulfosuccinate DO75 (Diethylhexyl Sodium Sulfosuccinate). You can use MIPA Laureth Sulfate too. 

• chemicalmatt

December 10, 2021 at 2:10 pm

Outstanding idea there @Rimbaud16: good old DOSS, the HI&I formulator’s best friend for decades. Kudos to you for thinking outside the box. Makes one think of all those Gemini surfactants used in HI&I that personal care formulators continue to ignore. A bit heavier on the irritation index, but that is easily resolved in formulation.  

• yonyrl

February 1, 2022 at 4:16 pm

Thank you very much for the commented ideas.
    Yes, but a foaming bath oil will lather when in contact with water, right? That is not exactly what I am looking for but thank you very much for trying.
    My idea is to apply it on dry hair to provide shine and soften the hair.