Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Body Wash with Salicylic Acid

• Body Wash with Salicylic Acid

Posted by cosmetic_chemist on November 15, 2021 at 3:10 pm

Hi everyone, 

I am developing a body wash for acne prone skin and want to use 1% salicylic acid. 

The struggle is finding the right solvent to dissolve the salicylic acid without thinning out the body wash. 

I have tried propylene glycol, and while it dissolves really well, it is thinning out my formulation. The formulation is supposed to be alcohol free. 

Any suggestions?

abdullah replied 2 years, 4 months ago 8 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • microformulation

November 15, 2021 at 5:37 pm
    Any suggestions?
    Don’t make any acne claims at all anywhere in your marketing or product descriptions at all.
    It is pricey, but we use Salspheres from Salvona.
  • cosmetic_chemist

November 15, 2021 at 6:58 pm

The customer I am developing this for wants to make such claims. I too usually avoid these situations. 

I have salicylic acid in house in powder form. Any suggestions on the solvent i can use to dissolve it without altering the viscosity of the body wash?

• oldperry

November 15, 2021 at 7:14 pm

You’ll need to post all the ingredients in your formula to get any good suggestions. Because if propylene glycol is thinning it out you might need to make more significant changes to the formula.

• markbroussard

November 15, 2021 at 7:17 pm

@Cosmetic_Chemist:

What surfactants are you using and what thickening system are you using?

• ngarayeva001

November 15, 2021 at 7:21 pm

It should work in a plain SLES/CAPB formulation. Which surfactants are you using?

• cosmetic_chemist

November 15, 2021 at 8:07 pm

Perry said:

You’ll need to post all the ingredients in your formula to get any good suggestions. Because if propylene glycol is thinning it out you might need to make more significant changes to the formula.

Aqua
    Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate
    Cocamidopropyl Betaine
    Sodium Methyl Oleoyl Taurate
    Lauryl Glucoside
    Coco-Glucoside
    Phenoxyethanol
    Glycerin
    Citric Acid
    Essential oils - For fragrance 

• markbroussard

November 15, 2021 at 9:25 pm

Looks like you need a thickener in your formula

• paprik

November 16, 2021 at 12:01 am

Your essential oils can “destroy” your viscosity. What’s the % input of them?

Also, do not forget to add an antioxidant for your essential oils. 

Does the formula thicken by itself when you have Taurate and Cocamidopropyl betaine and Isethionate present? Or after adjusting pH to 5 - 6?

Do you add any salt to it? 

What’s the active matter of each ingredients in your formula?

Lauryl Glucoside also causes loss of viscosity sometimes. Try it without. 

You can try to dissolve SA in Propanediol. (Propylene Glycol does thin out products)

Phenoxyethanol by itself is not sufficient preservative (not “broad spectrum”)

• microformulation

November 16, 2021 at 12:11 am

The customer I am developing this for wants to make such claims. I too usually avoid these situations. 

I have salicylic acid in house in powder form. Any suggestions on the solvent i can use to dissolve it without altering the viscosity of the body wash?

In the end, these invalid claims will affect you client and limit their growth. We won’t touch a product unless it clears Regulatory.

• cosmetic_chemist

November 16, 2021 at 2:51 am

Paprik said:

Your essential oils can “destroy” your viscosity. What’s the % input of them?

Also, do not forget to add an antioxidant for your essential oils. 

Does the formula thicken by itself when you have Taurate and Cocamidopropyl betaine and Isethionate present? Or after adjusting pH to 5 - 6?

Do you add any salt to it? 

What’s the active matter of each ingredients in your formula?

Lauryl Glucoside also causes loss of viscosity sometimes. Try it without. 

You can try to dissolve SA in Propanediol. (Propylene Glycol does thin out products)

Phenoxyethanol by itself is not sufficient preservative (not “broad spectrum”)

The essential oil is only at 0.2%. 

The formula thickened before adjusting the pH. There is no salt in this.

I cant remove lauryl glucoside because it is part of a blend of surfactants.

i will try SA in propanediol, thank you!! 

• suswang8

November 16, 2021 at 4:03 am

C_C, a 1% wash-off product like that is going to do nothing for acne.

• abdullah

November 16, 2021 at 9:13 am

Just add SA to your cleanser and adjust the pH to lowest that your surfactants can support. It doesn’t need any solvent in cleansing product. You already have enough surfactants to solubilize it.