Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Reducing the pH of sodium lactate to get lactic acid

• pharma

November 8, 2021 at 5:36 am
    If you took a strong acid such as hydrochloric or sulfuric acid: Yes, absolutely.
    Citric acid on the other hand is only slightly more acidic. You will be able to achieve a pH of 3.5 but that’s within the buffering ranges of lactic acid and two out of three carboxylic acid groups of citric acid. Such a blend will not perfom the same as a buffer of lactic acid plus sodium lactate. I don’t know if it’s stronger (a lot more total acids) or weaker (better buffering).
  • abdullah

November 8, 2021 at 2:10 pm

Thanks

• pharma

November 8, 2021 at 8:30 pm
    Why don’t you just add lactic acid instead?
    See, if you use an acid to turn a salt into one, you end with a salt… Either combine lactic acid with sodium lactate or use ~5% lactic acid and set the pH to 3.5 using sodium hydroxide. ;)
  • abdullah

November 9, 2021 at 1:25 am

@Pharma i am using lactic acid. I just wanted to know if i reduce the pH of salt, does it function as acid or not.

Now if it is so, how does preservatives like sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate at low pH function as there acid? 

• pharma

November 9, 2021 at 8:12 am

Preservatives are used in their salt form because of solubility. Were the acids water soluble, then using them as salts would be stupid. So many people take the salts, mix them in, and lower the pH with whatever to turn the preservatives into active acids. The amount used is also way smaller than 5% ;) .

• abdullah

November 9, 2021 at 9:49 am

@Pharma yes but my point is about percentage in any quantity.

For example
    If we take two formulas that are the same, add 0.3% sodium benzoate in one formula and 0.3% benzoic acid in another formula, if we adjust the pH to 6, only 1.6% of preservative would be in acid form in both, and if we adjust the pH to 4, 61.3% of preservative would be in acid form. 
    Am i correct in this?

If yes, it means the availability of benzoic acid or sodium benzoate in acid form depends on final pH, not the form you have added it. 

So why availability of lactic acid or salicylic acid in acid form is depended on the form you have added it and not the final pH? 

• pharma

November 9, 2021 at 11:42 am
    Theoretically, you’re correct (I didn’t do the maths but I sounds about right).
    The ‘problem’ with larger quantities is:
    Add ‘active acid’ -> increase pH with strong base = part ‘active acid’ & part ‘active salt’
    Add ‘active salt’ -> lower pH with strong acid = part ‘active acid’ & part ‘active salt’ & part salt
    Add ‘active salt’ -> lower pH with weak acid = part ‘active acid’ & part ‘active salt’ & part acid & part salt
    This may not be an issue when the ‘active’ is a preservative at 0.2% but in case of 5% sodium lactate and citric acid the electrolyte load gets huge (sodium lactate plus sodium dihydrogen citrate) and you’ll also have ‘active’ citric acid, not just ‘active’ lactic acid.
  • abdullah

November 9, 2021 at 12:21 pm

Pharma said:

Theoretically, you’re correct (I didn’t do the maths but I sounds about right).
    The ‘problem’ with larger quantities is:
    Add ‘active acid’ -> increase pH with strong base = part ‘active acid’ & part ‘active salt’
    Add ‘active salt’ -> lower pH with strong acid = part ‘active acid’ & part ‘active salt’ & part salt
    Add ‘active salt’ -> lower pH with weak acid = part ‘active acid’ & part ‘active salt’ & part acid & part salt
    is this part acid, citric acid in example of reducing pH of sodium lactate with citric acid?

Thanks 😊
     What about salicylic acid?
    If we add 0.29% sodium hydroxide to 1% salicylic acid in water,it solubilizes it but the pH is about 7. If we then reduce the pH with citric acid or lactic acid to 2.9 or 3, would there be about 50% of salicylic acid in acid form? Forgot about inactive acid or salt. 

• pharma

November 9, 2021 at 5:15 pm

It will fall out of solution cause salicylic acid isn’t really soluble in water ;) .

• abdullah

November 10, 2021 at 1:25 am

@Pharma i have done it and it is stable. Increase the pH with sodium hydroxide did solubilize salicylic acid in water. The ph was high about 7 so i reduced the pH with citric acid back to 3. Now i am not sure if it is in acid form or salt form in pH 3. Any idea?

• pharma

November 10, 2021 at 5:44 am

At pH 3 and in conjunction with citric acid, most is in salt form and most citric acid is in acid form. Nothing gained here.

• abdullah

November 10, 2021 at 5:57 am

@Pharma what about lactic acid? 

Whith which acid instead of citric acid most of salicylic acid would be in acid form? 

• pharma

November 10, 2021 at 12:45 pm

No. lactic acid is weaker than citric… Best go with a strong mineral acid such as HCl ;) .

• abdullah

November 11, 2021 at 2:01 am

@Pharma thanks 😊

Which one is stronger acid? Salicylic acid or citric acid?
    In a comparison at same percentage citric acid reduced the pH of a Shampoo more than salicylic acid. 

• pharma

November 11, 2021 at 5:40 am

Salicylic is stronger by pKa but poorly soluble and has a lower ‘charge density’ (1 M salicylic acid gives less acid that 1 M citric acid).

• abdullah

November 11, 2021 at 2:09 pm

@Pharma is it because of charge density that 1 M salicylic acid gives less acid that 1 M citric acid?

If yes then what does it do that is is considered strong acid than citric acid? 

• pharma

November 12, 2021 at 8:49 pm

Salicylic acid carries one carboxylic acid group, citric acid has three. Under physiological conditions, citric acid is ‘twice as acidic’ than salicylic acid or, in other words, 1 M citric acid is 2 N whilst 1 M salicylic acid is 1 N.

• abdullah

November 13, 2021 at 3:21 am

@Pharma does having less carboxylic acid group mean Stronger acid? 

• pharma

November 13, 2021 at 6:11 am

No, the carboxylic group is the acid part of the molecule ;) . Meaning that one molecule citric acid carries three a acids = more acid per mol and more acid per gram. It doesn’t make it a stronger acid… quite the opposite: the second acid is fairly weak and the third very weak (due to increasing charge).

• abdullah

November 13, 2021 at 8:34 am

@Pharma got it 👍🏻.

Just didn’t get this part that what makes an acid stronger or weaker. 
    Does less chare make an acid stronger or what makes it? 

• pharma

November 13, 2021 at 5:57 pm

Naw, the structure determines how strong an acid is (the value used is the pKa). However, if a molecule carries more than one acid functionality, each additional one has a lower strenght. Citric and phosphoric acid with three acid groups each has three different pKa values for ‘pronon’. This is due to an increased charge once the first functional group is deprotonated, the created negative charge reduces the acidity of the other remaining ones and so on.

• abdullah

November 14, 2021 at 3:11 am

Pharma said:

Naw, the structure determines how strong an acid is (the value used is the pKa). However, if a molecule carries more than one acid functionality, each additional one has a lower strenght. Citric and phosphoric acid with three acid groups each has three different pKa values for ‘pronon’. This is due to an increased charge once the first functional group is deprotonated, the created negative charge reduces the acidity of the other remaining ones and so on.

Thanks a lot