expiration dating for "natural, organic" formulations

What is your rule of thumb for assigning expiration dates on wholefoods, credo clean, sephora clean type formulations?  We were thinking 2 years unopened after production date but 1 year after opening. Is this acceptable? My co worker suggested 3 years...

Comments

• MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    edited October 2021
    As @PhilGeis has mentioned numerous times, Period After Opening (PAO) is a useless term and standard.
    This would be established through testing. Each Formula could be different. You really can't guess.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • @PhilGeis @Microformulation
    I can appreciate PAO being a useless term...Since all of my stability is passing I was going to suggest... 1 year PAO.
  • PhilGeisPhilGeis Member, Professional formulator
    You're marketing in EU?  What are your chaolnege test stability data - assume in final market container?
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    To be safe I’d put one year after manufacture unless you have stability testing to show otherwise. Plus, that would encourage consumers to replace old products 
  • @Perry- thank you
    @PhilGeis-not marketing to the EU just yet. Challenge testing is being with no container.  Is there a difference in doing Challenge testing with the container and without the container?

• PhilGeisPhilGeis Member, Professional formulator
    To test, no but any challenge in stability should use product aged in container and with any implement packaged in product (e.g. mascara brush)/.